Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 days without Ibuprofen

Hi fellow back pain people.

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have a severe herniation of my L5 S1. It is causing a lot of pain and numbness. I have been managing to keep it under good control with 800 of motrin, gabapentin, and half of a hydrocodone sometimes at night.

I'm going to try to have an epidural injection to relieve the intense pain but they are telling me that I need to stop the ibuprofen for 8 days before the procedure. I do bleed easily so I really probably have to do so.

I can't use narcotics during the day because I am still working/driving.

Is there something else I can use that I might not know about.
advertisement

Comments

• Betty65BBetty65 FloridaPosts: 83
    Hi -- I was in your shoes a few months ago but I was able to take the pain med during the day as I stay at home. I've found that those "icy hot" patches help. That plus heatng pads, ice, and resting as much as you can until you get the shot. For my second shot I didn't have to stop taking ibuprofen since he was injecting in the facet joint and not the spine. I don't know why that would make a difference but he said it was ok.

Hang in there and I sure hope your injection gives you some relief.
    Betty65
  • If you're finding it really hard I used to have Diclofenac (anti-inflamatory) patches that I wore on my lower back. They were pretty expensive fortunately my clinic gave me free samples. I've never heard anyone else mention them & I never actually paid so I don't know if insurance companies cover them. I was always allowed to wear them before procedures, surgery etc.

I now have a prescription, compounded cream that contains Ketamine, lidocaine, muscle relaxants & nerve meds. It really helps me. It has to be delivered from a compounding pharmacy so it might be a bit late for that unless your pm doc has samples.

I mostly use ice & heat for rescue. I'm lucky I'm at home. I know it's often not convenient to use that at work. Have you tried a heating pad? I use that to drive.

I also use an airomatherapy massage rub mix for pain. I find it more effective than the usual store bought patches & creams. It's best to go into a health store & talk to someone about the best blend for you. Once you find one you like you can get it much cheaper online.

Best of luck!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Thanks!
    I am finding it really hard. I've never had back issues, but I guess my extrusion is pretty bad because I got an appointment with the neurosurgeon immediately. He will see me in a week, and did recommend immediate surgery, but..I have a new job I am going to and would love to see if I could just heal it in a few months. I've been using heat and Ice, but didn't think about the diclofenac patch. Today I am increasing the dose of the Neurontin, and while I am sleepy it does seem to be helping some. Hopefully, with some more rest I can make it through the next 5 days at work...
  • For me, the sleepiness with muscle relaxants decreases day by day. I usually feel 'normal' in a week or 2. You mentioned that you bleed easy. I hope you gave your doc a list of all the suppliments you take. Some can increase that problem. If not give your pharmacist a quick call. They're great with these things. Best of luck.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • The easy bleeding is some sort of genetic thing. I took part in a study years ago and was found that people of my ethnic background bleed "more easily" and are more flexible in the joints than others. I'm not taking any supplements. I am just praying this works, it's so depressing right now it's top running season here in Florida, I am trained and ready to race, except for this back thing. I should clarify my back itself really doesn't hurt. It is all pain and numbness shooting down my right leg. I'm never sure if it is nerve pain or my muscles spasming trying to "fix" the problem. :/
  • Sorry. It must be so hard for you. I really hope you find a solution & can get back to your passion. My husband was a marathon runner. I know it's so much more than a 'hobby' or 'exercise'.

Have you had your SI joint checked out? You mentioned flexibility. Could be worth looking into. It's a simple diagnostic numbing shot. You can immediately tell if it's contributing to your pain.

Check with your doc is you can take magnesium. It definitely helps me a little with spasms & nerve pain. Not a lot but every little helps!

I use the ketamine compounded cream. It contains numbing stuff, nerve & muscle meds. It's a very important part of my blend. I also use aromatherapy blends. Basically anything I can massage & rub in helps my muscles a bit.

Having 'that' herniation sucks when it's pressing on nerves. Time, shots & physical therapy are the key treatments. I hope conservative things help you. What has your surgeon said about the odds of getting yours under control without surgery? What's he said about returning to endurance running?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • They called and could fit me in for the epidural., but darn it all, I had taken Motrin. so Gotta wait. THe issues I am having are really not with muscle pain, but the nerve pain. I think I just have to wait. :(
  • Well, He initially told me because I was so healthy he thought this might entirely heal on it's own. However, it doesn't seem to be. I did not ask about running at the appointment, because I didn't really think he could give any kind of accurate answer. My SI joint is fine, I never had any issues with it in the past. I do see the second consult surgeon tomorrow afternoon, so I should be able to see what he thinks about everything at this point. I know it could be worse, but...with the impending job change thrown into this mess, well... I'm just a little concerned. Plus well, the darn thing hurts.
  • RunnerHKT said:
    Hi fellow back pain people.

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have a severe herniation of my L5 S1. It is causing a lot of pain and numbness. I have been managing to keep it under good control with 800 of motrin, gabapentin, and half of a hydrocodone sometimes at night.

I'm going to try to have an epidural injection to relieve the intense pain but they are telling me that I need to stop the ibuprofen for 8 days before the procedure. I do bleed easily so I really probably have to do so.

I can't use narcotics during the day because I am still working/driving.

Is there something else I can use that I might not know about.
    Belated response, and I know you already had the shot - and I hope it is still going well for you - but you're allowed to take Tylenol/acetaminophen before those procedures. Didn't they tell you that? I know because I had four of them.
  • I ended up doing pretty well with the neurontin, and some occasional Hydrocodone. I'm about to start the no motrin again for the second injection. I seem to be doing alright, I mostly have pain when doing continued walking of sitting.

We'll see how things go, I had good results from the first injection, so I hope that the second one gives me even more results!
advertisement