Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discectomy L4/L5

ElsieHertsEElsieHerts Posts: 1
edited 11/02/2014 - 5:07 PM in Recovering from Surgery

I am 3 weeks post op Wednesday and looking for other people that have had the same.

I am now completely mobile again and yesterday walked 5 miles while Christmas shopping. Coped well, very tired after three to four hours but very pleased with myself for the effort.

I work in a warehouse/distribution capacity and was wondering when other folk returned to work!? How long until you were able to drive again?

Any other people that have had the same op and willing to share stories ?

Thank you

• You would have to talk to your surgeon regarding when he will clear you to return to work, but I would be careful about pushing too hard, too soon in your recovery. It is better to go a bit more slowly and steadily to make improvement, then to try to push through things and wind up setting your recovery back.....or worse yet, reherniating . The disc has not healed yet or developed enough scar tissue to prevent a reherniation.
  • Be very careful, I had a MD in February and two months later I hernaited the disc again. Now I am home recovering from my second discectomy. I am having pretty bad pain which is what my surgeon said would happen.

Just listen to what he/she says and don't push it.

Has anyone else had two of them and how much pain did you have after the second?
  • I had the same surgery on 9/17, and am just now able to do about 1/3 mile but even after that I am in horrible pain and feels like fire going from just above my incision into y butt and down the middle of both thighs, and all the way down on the left(my surgical side). I also am still unable to stand in one position for more then the time it takes to do a load of dishes(about 10 mins) withou the same thing. I am in PT and going back to pain management for more injections while waiting my insurance company to approve MRI number 4(first since surgery).