Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laminectomy or Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion

berk92bberk92 Posts: 2
edited 11/02/2014 - 5:09 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
3 years ago I underwent a Microdiscectomy for herniated discs in L4/L5 & L5/S1. I was suffering from a severe drop foot (without pain). For all intensive purposes it was a success.

Today I have a reoccurrence of herniated matter in the same area which now has caused my big toe to become flaccid and is causing pain when I stand too long along with numbness in my foot. Relief only comes from sitting. I am being told this is a classic case of spinal stenosis.

I have now seen two different neurosurgeons; the one who did my Microdiscectomy is recommending a Laminectomy (he says I am not a candidate for fusion) and the other NS is recommending a Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion .

The NS who is recommending PLIF feels that the Laminectomy wont do much for me since the Microdiscectomy was performed once before, that I need the PLIF. He also said a laminectomy could cause my spine to become unstable.

He also said recovery is about 4-6 weeks, He said I would be in a lot of pain the first week out of surgery. He said most of his patients complain of being stiff after the pain subsides.

Is there an opinion out there about which direction to go? Has anyone had this issue with an instable spine after getting a Laminectomy? The pain and stiffness after the PLIF?