Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recoverying from 2 ACDF Surgeries

Shosho513SShosho513 Posts: 2
edited 11/07/2014 - 7:55 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Y'all have to forgive me, I am new at this and this is my first post. I have found myself coming to this site for some time before and after my ACDF surgeries (it was only suppose to be one). I had been having what I thought was a pulled neck muscle which turned into left arm pain that was beyond painful and my fingers became numb, and all of the other symptoms of a herniated disc. Long story short - I had a herniated disc at C6-C7. On 10/2/14, At C7 they did a disc replacement and at C6 they did a decompression. I was in the hospital for 2 days, came home felt ok other than surgical pain, then within 2 weeks, I started having the same exact pain I was having prior to surgery in my right arm. They ran some tests and decided that they had left some residual bone on the left side of C6-C7 and I needed to have EMERGENCY surgery on 10/20/14, at which time they basically redid the complete surgery and the first one was just considered failed. They took out more bone on both levels and replaced the herniated disc with an even thicker disc. I was in the hospital for 4 days this time. That as 2 1/2 weeks ago. I'm still having occasional problems eating foods, sometimes it gets stuck and sometimes quite frankly I "lose" it. I have to wear the hard collar for 8 more weeks. No driving. I have been told I can lift my 13 month old daughter with caution, so for about a month, I have had to have constant care for her. It hasn't been easy on me either. I have just gotten to where I can sleep in my own bed for the first time in months. However, the pain wakes me up some nights and it's almost unbearable. Some nights one side may hurt more than the other. Side being my neck, shoulder, breast bone, arm, between shoulderblades.. which always happens when I do to much. Today, I decided to do laundry and did it, and now I'm paying for it. My surgeon put me on oxycotin, oxycodone (w/o Tylenol), Valium, robaxin, & gabapentin. At my 2 week checkup, I told him that I could not take the oxycotin or oxycodone w/o Tylenol bc it made me sick and made me sol moody. It was just too strong, so he gave me oxycodone 10 w/tyelonol. And that works just fine along with the robaxin and Valium. I know I'm only about 3 weeks out of my second surgery, and I'm still in a good amount of pain... why do I feel bad at the fact that next week, I'm going to have to ask for a refill of pain meds? Am I the only one who feels like that? I mean these were 2 major surgeries In less than 2 weeks apart and I'm thinking I should be up and running, and when I try, I feel like I've been hit by a train. And it's particularly tough because I have a household to run, a 13 month old and a 14 year old, who has activities, and I have to arrange help. I'm tired of this. 8 more weeks of the brace and no driving really gets to me. He said the second surgery was very involved and that to expect pain. So, I guess my question is, how long is the normal time to be on pain medicine? I would hate for sometime else to be wrong in my neck. I would think if they said I needed a 3rd surgery I would say no. I want relief but I. don't want to depend on pain meds for long. I've asked about PT and was told that it was unnecessary for this type of surgery. I still have extreme weakness in my left arm and numbness in a few of my fingers, but it is getting better. The right side is much better and not as week, but I still have a strong muscle pain in my bicep. Is this normal? I guess I really need to call my surgeon on Monday. I'm just sick about the whole thing to be honest, I was in sol much pain b4 surgery, and that is gone, but now I'm dealing with this surgical pain and I'm not quite sure what to think about it and what to expect. Any advice would be nice, and I apologize for the long post. Thank you!