Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scared to go to Emergency Room

I had a TLIF at L5-S1 in 2011, I have had consistent problems since then, never really got any better.

My most recent MRI is fairly stable - L5-S1 Disc space shows disc degeneration, end plate reactive changes and a disc bulge. I do have mild left foraminal stenosis from osteophyte.

Anyway on to the problem - I have been in pain for a while but decided i would be cool the other day while messing with my husband and I ended up in a wheel barrel position (hands on the ground and he was holding my feet) we goofed around for a minute while i waled around like I was a kid again, had a lot of fun.

......now 2 days later i cannot sit or move without pain, it is not a sciatica pain, i can walk but the problem all seems to be localized right in the area of my surgery aprx. it seems to be more of a crushing feeling pain, like my spine is basically collapsing in that area.

I left a message for my new neuroligist for an appt but cannot get in until next week and I am afraid if I go the er they will think I am drug seeking - even though I have suffered without pain meds for a long time because my pcp will not prescribe them and my original neurologist moved.

Ibuprofen is not working :(

• Have you tried ice or heat, creams, patches etc from the pharmacy, hot Epsom salt bath? Are any of the 'tricks' helping calm it a bit? I'm sorry. I know it's horrible having a flare & waiting for an appointment to see if you've done any damage. Ugh!!
    I don't have enough experience with the ER in America to know if it's worth trying. I was rushed in for an emergency (not back related) without my meds earlier this year. Even with a note from my PM doc listing my meds I needed they wouldn't give me pain killers!!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • mrossomx2mmrossomx2 Coal center Posts: 42
    thank you EnglishGirl for your response, I am currently on the heating pad and have alternated hot and cold to try to help :( with no help. the only thing the er can do is give me pain meds and do an emergency ct scan. I tried some tylenol with codeine and ended up with a horrible feeling that my heart and intestines were being ripped from my chest so i will not do that again and i have vicodin but it does not even touch the pain
  • I'm so sorry. Are you on a waiting list just incase they get a cancellation? I find a REALLY hot Epsom salt bath can help a little. The magnesium can be good for nerves & I find it relaxes my muscles, they tend to spasm in reaction around my spine. It's good that you're not experiencing numbness or nerve pain but I know that spine feeling & it's agonizing! I'm so sorry. Are you home alone or do you have some company. I try everything & anything to take my mind off of the pain. Writting here helps!

I'm sorry. I really don't know if going to the ER could help. It might be a big waste of money & time. Do you feel like you can tough it out until next week? Are you worried that you've caused some permanent damage? Is this the first major flare since surgery? It sounds like you were doing really well. I'm so sorry.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • mrossomx2mmrossomx2 Coal center Posts: 42
    yes, i asked them to put me on a cancellation list. I decided against the er and just to suffer as it is what it is. i cannot take codeine as the last time I took it i had a bad reaction :( and no other pain meds available. I asked my husband to pick up epsom salt for me while at work tonight. Hopefully that will help as the muscles are all spasming as soon as i move..
  • I hope it helps you. I put quite a lot (it says on the packet) in a very hot bath. Maybe he can grab a cream & give you a gentle massage to. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.