Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neurontin side effects--when will this be over?

andromache42aandromache42 Posts: 6
edited 11/16/2014 - 8:33 PM in Pain Medications
I currently have a herniated C4/5 disk, and I had disk fusion/replacement on C 5/6 and 6/7 five years ago. I’m not quite 49 years old, so I am considered young to have so many spinal problems. And yes, I’d love to lose 25-30 pounds. There’s some scar tissue and spinal stenosis around the C4/5 area, plus osteophytes throughout my cervical and upper thoracic spine. I live with pain, though most days, it’s bearable. I would say that 20/30 days a month, I manage well with over the counter Tylenol and Naproxen (both twice a day), plus one dose of a prescription medication, Tramadol (50 mg). I take vitamins, calcium, red rice yeast, flaxseed oil, and fish oil, plus Slo-Niacin, which have really helped my cholesterol. I see my ortho about every 3-6 months to check on my spine and my PCP or her PA about every 6 months–to monitor triglycerides. However, about 5-10 days each month, I have severe pain in my spine–usually on days when I am working long hours or have to drive a long distance. When I say pain, I mean if a kidney stone = 10 and childbirth without any meds = 8, this is probably a 7. I tried Lyrica before my first spine surgery–I felt awful, and it did nothing for the pain. My recent ortho suggested Neurontin, but I refused since I knew Lyrica hadn’t helped. A few weeks ago, I fell and bruised my ulnar nerve (PCP wanted an x-ray to rule out fracture). The only thing the on-call doctor could give me was Neurontin. It does help somewhat–let’s say it cuts pain by 25%–but I’m terrified at the side effects I’m having after just 5 days. My arms and legs feel detached from my body and have a pins and needles sensation. My lips feel numb. The headaches are blinding. I’m constantly dizzy. I’m only taking 300 mg, am and pm. I feel spaced out, and it’s not a pleasant thing. I am getting frustrated because I can’t think clearly (I’m having a slow time typing this!) I dare not drive for fear of having a wreck–so I only take the Neurontin after I get to work and at night. I was told it could take 2 weeks to give it a chance to work/my body to adjust…I’m not sure I can keep this up. Are there any other alternatives out there? For me, the very small benefit is being outweighed by the side effects. Thank you!