Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Laminectomy w/fusion and Titanium Hardware C3 - C7

BlueJacketBBlueJacket Posts: 2
edited 11/17/2014 - 4:20 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
For more than two decades I'd been trying to avoid the above surgery. I had it done on October 16, 2014. I've not had any improvement in symptoms (my hands still burn/ach/hurt) and my upper arms are still numb. And now I have Vertigo at any change of position. Has anyone else hade these issues?
With hopes for reduced pain and a happy life!

• shouston7sshouston7 SOUTH CAROLINAPosts: 33
    I feel for you! It may be too soon to be feeling relief, I had the same exact surgery in 2007, It get's better, it takes time and is not instant. Probably should call your surgeons office and speak with someone about the vertigo. Vertigo will make you really nauseous I've had sudden onset vertigo however it wasn't at the time I had my neck surgery. The pain medication that I was given was very strong and would make me feel a little dizzy.
    It's hard when you have been in pain so much and so long and then go through a major surgery thinking finally I will get some relief and then you find you hurt worse, hopefully you will start feeling better soon, When nerves have been irritated and compressed , they have to have time to heal, and you may feel the burning and pain off and on for a while. I have 2 friends that have had same surgery too and both also said it took them time to heal. Have you been to PT yet? That helps a lot and I learned the more I would move around the better I felt. the hardest part was trying to find a position that I could actually sleep in. A reclining position was the best in the beginning. I used ice packs a lot the first few months,.
    Do your medications help at all?
    I really do hope you start feeling some relief soon! Wish I could say something that would help! Hang in there!
    S. Houston
  • You're most likely correct: time is my enemy at this point. I am back in the hospital trying to determine the basis for the Vertigo, to no avail. I've had almost every test: Heart Cath, Echo cardiogram, Carotid Doppler, MRI of both my neck and brain (I was relieved to prove the existence of the latter!)

Sleeping is a real challenge. There's almost no 'perfect position' and I've spent an inordinate amount of money on the "spinal pillows" and have yet to find the best.

I've not started PT. My Doctor hasn't released me for that, to date. But I agree, stretching in the AM really seems to help with mobility and pain throughout the rest of the morning. My greatest concern is the residual symptoms that I'd hoped would be resolved. My hands ache and burn with 'pins and needles' all at the same time and I still have reduced grip in both hands. I'm just really hoping I didn't wait too long to have the surgery. The doctor says the MRIs don't show evidence of permanent damage to the spinal cord, yet my symptoms persist.

I'm keeping the drug companies in business with the number of meds I take daily. Yet, the doctors insist that none of them, nor a combination of them, would/should be the cause of my Vertigo.

I'm very discouraged.
    With hopes for reduced pain and a happy life!
  • shouston7sshouston7 SOUTH CAROLINAPosts: 33
    I'm sorry you are having such problems! It took over a week for my sudden onset vertigo to get to where I could move around, without running into the walls literally. My ER Dr. said sometimes the inner ear gets messed up for no reason that anyone could find. I had shots for the nausea and steroids & diazepam that I had to take for about a month. I was told that once you get vertigo that you more than likely will have other bouts of it but each time after the first would never be as bad and it's true, I have had vertigo a few times since then but never as bad.
    As for the strength in your hands, you will get it back but it takes exercise to build the muscles again, the pins and needles will eventually go away, my understanding is if it is from nerve damage it can regenerate and heal, again time is your friend with this. That is a great thing that Drs. say not spinal cord damage, nerves are very resilient! I read so much, I have been unable to do a lot physically because of some lower back issues, so I am fortunate that I love to read. Started on books on spine & back and nerve conditions, learned so much about our nerves in various parts of our bodies, it helps to read and have some knowledge about what is going on. Yes a lot of people on here have had a very hard time with the cervical surgery, but remember the ones that had the success would not have a reason to go on this forum, myself included. However I started coming here when my lower back started going down hill. There are many people out there that have good stories about the cervical surgery.
    Please do not get discouraged thinking that this is it and you will always feel this way. I really feel you will get better and get your strength back! Before I had my neck surgery I can remember thinking it was an endless tunnel no pain free sunlight showing, and after I had the surgery, like you I was in incredible pain, but I knew I could see light at the end of the tunnel there would come a day that it would be better, keep looking ahead, each day is one closer to getting well!
    Will keep you in my prayers! Sharon
    This site has really helped me get some perspective of my own conditions!
    S. Houston
  • listen to your body. I had surgery on c-3 thru c-5 the doc used cadaver bone instead of using it from me. long story short that even though he came reccomended it was not the best choice of doctors I could have had. I still had the numbness and tingling in my hands and the doc just kept me in the jp collar saying it takes time to heal after 4 months I was still having the feelings but I was hearing things with I moved my head mind you I was still in the collar. 4 more months went by and I said enough is enough either you figure out what is wrong or I will see a new doctor. they sent me to have a cat scan which showed the screws were laying on their side a second and third opinion said I needed surgery right away or take the chance of being paralyzed from the neck down. I had 2 more surgerries to fix this problem I am now fused from c-2 to t-2 but I have good range of motion other than muscle spasms from over doing it. the one thing I always tell people is listen to your body no one knows you better than you. Listen to your symptoms, write them down if you might forget and when you feel like the doc isnt listening get a second opinion. I pray everything goes well with you
    sandra smith