Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc Replacement Advice

OneLevelOOneLevel Posts: 3
edited 11/17/2014 - 7:59 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, everyone.

I've been suffering for almost three years with a degenerating disc at C5/C6. My doctors initially thought it was just a muscular problem (probably because I am young, 37) but I recently made them give me an MRI and they found radiculopathy, stenosis, etc. resulting from disc loss at C5C6. The last few months, the pain has gotten really bad and it's hard for me to focus at work and do what I need to do at home (I have young children).

Recently I've met with two surgeons (in Los Angeles area) and both have recommended an ADR without hesitation. Now, I'm trying to figure out the pros/cons to going through with the surgery and could really use some advice!

Poking around on here, I've read some great things about the surgery but then I've also read some not-so-great things like "I've heard there's lots of problems with those." and things like that. Both surgeons also said they would use the Pro Disc 100%.

I know surgery is a personal decision, but I would love to hear from any of you that have had this surgery or considered it and decided against for whatever reason. I would greatly appreciate it!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I had a Prodisc at C5-C6 three years ago and am glad I had it done.
    August 2013 C7-T1 MED
    July 2013 L4-L5-S1 TLIF
    December 2011 C5-C6 ADR
    April 2009 L5-S1 MED
  • smaugssmaug Posts: 7
    edited 11/21/2014 - 9:28 PM
    I had an axiomed freedom cervical disc replacement 5 months ago at C6/7 - very smooth operation and recovery. I asked the surgeon (who has done over 2000 disc replacements) about other discs. His opinion was that the prodisc did not retain the natural rigidity of a natural disc and has a higher chance of displacement of the rubber membrane, unlike the freedom disc, which is more of a rigid structure. Also a more rigid structure puts less stress on the ligaments and stabilising muscles. If you go ahead with ADR (which only your doctor can advise on), while the prodisc is well tested, I would also investigate newer alternatives.

Freedom disc info:
    URL removed. Any external link must first be approved by the Spine-Health moderator team

If you have a question about a link that you want to post run it by us first.

9.01 No posting links to advertisements or as solicitations of business.

9.02 No posting links which are not relevant to the applicable forum topic.

9.03 No posting material that infringes on the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of others or on the privacy or publicity rights of others.

9.04 Any outside content or material directly quoted must include a reference to the location the source from which it came.
  • OneLevelOOneLevel Posts: 3
    edited 02/04/2015 - 1:04 PM
    Thanks for the replies! Surgery scheduled in three weeks!