Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How many Rhizotomies are too many vs Disc herniation

aprbrtaaprbrt Posts: 1
edited 11/18/2014 - 9:08 PM in Lower Back Pain
I have been diagnosed with a having facet Arthropathy and have had 25 plus Bilateral facet rhizotomies on L3 L4 L5 and S1. (over 15 years) At first it was once a year then every 8 month every 6 months and the last 4 years every 3 months. I had a car accident and had low back pain, shooting pains own my legs, some trouble voiding, weakness, numbness in my toes and pain in my thighs. It took sometime before anyone diagnosed me. They did an MRI back then and no herniated Disc. My insurance pays for me to have the procedure and recovery time of 13 days. This has worked well up to about 2 years ago. Over time the pain has become worse. They did an MRI last year and found that I also have a bulging disc with an annular tear. (l4-L5)Now they are saying all this increased pain is related to the disc not the facet joint issue. The last two rhizotomies I did have the nerves reacting in lower leg and foot. (causing alot of issues in my legs after the procedure)Only change to pain is it is way worse and that I have numbness and pain in my heal as well.
My question to you is:
1)Do you know what the long term side effect would be to have so many of these procedures- can they cause the disc problem
(can it cause other issues- what other issues)
2) Are the symptoms I am describing sounding like they are disc or facet issues or both
3)Do you have any recommendations for treatment
4) Could they damage the disc (tear) well doing the procedure
5) Why am I now having the lower leg issues when having the procedure when I never had it before.
6) Could the Rhz stop working all together
7) Is there anyone out there that has had 25 plus Rhizotomies and what has your experience been

If I live to 65 that another 60 procedures - what will that do to my back