Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi everyone! I've got thoracic back pain/spasms without diagnosis. Help!

bd1987bbd1987 Posts: 1
edited 11/22/2014 - 1:16 PM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi Everyone, Im hoping to learn a lot here and also get some feedback on my situation. It seems like a lot of people have a similar experience in my age bracket (27ish years old) as far as not getting a lot of support from their doctors.

I was struck by a car while riding my bike. From that accident I had a knee sprain and began having painful back spasms that shot down my leg and across my arm, these continued frequently for the first months and thankfully have (mostly) ceased to include my leg and arm. Now its a regular spasm located around the T12 area and the spasms can sometimes be managed with loosening the muscles around my ribs and lats. When the spasm strikes its electric and like knives. When they occur I cant breathe deeply without making them worse, I need to lay on my back and stretch and wait for it to pass (Which is super awkward at work and social occasions, to feel like crying and screaming but not wanting to make a scene. Anyone ever hid under their desk while waiting for an episode to pass?)

I also seem to have something going on with my hip socket that gets worse when my back spasms occur (a tightening knifelike feeling) I also take cyclobenziprine when nothing helps. I haven't had a specific diagnosis so I am only treating the pain right now.

Ive seen my MD 5 times and had countless calls with them, seen two different chiropractors around 20 times and seen a really terrific deep tissue massage therapist about 30 times (he's amazing). Only recently, two years later it was just suggested to me that I get an MRI of my thoracic and lumbar areas, I feel so shocked that this wasn't suggested when I was having the pain radiate down my leg and arm and that only now my doctor is willing to do something to investigate. Previous exams have just been listening to my problems and prescribing 4 sessions of PT and pain meds. There was no attempt to investigate of my back injury early on (WHY!?!)

I used to be extremely active, training for 20 hours a week as a dancer and am now limited to only a few hours of activity a week. I do pt stretching and back strengthening for 45 minutes 3 times a week and teach a dance class but other than that I take it easy, I perform about 2 times a month still but cant do more than Im doing now without enraging the gods of back pain. I can always hear my spine adjusting and shifting, like its never quite in the right place. My lower middle back area feels tender all the time and when the spasms come they are debilitating.

I am very curious about any experiences people have had with pain around that area and what their eventual diagnosis were, my doctor wont seem to suggest any tests/diagnostic tools unless I bring them up and specifically request them (usually multiple times). It seems like all the med professionals that treat me just think that I should be healed by now and aren't interested in the root cause of why it hasn't gone away. We will see in a week how the MRI turns out but in the meantime I'd love to hear some thoughts and experiences and any diagnostic tools or healing modalities that really helped in similar cases.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 11/22/2014 - 1:17 PM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I would suggest getting an MRI to be on the safe side. Lord knows you wont have to get thoracic spine surgery because ive had the total worst experience with it. not speaking for others though cus one guy said he turned out ok but check out some of the other post ive put up on here. my struggle is real....good luck