Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4-S1 hemilaminectomy and discectomy

Hello everyone! It's about 2am and I am about 16 hours post op. I would like some input if anyone has had this same experience. Even with the PCA aka the happy button, my pain is still about 7-8. I am also having issues with most movement. I almost cried a few times from them just helping me with the bedpan. My oxygen levels are still low as well. On top of that I am mega itchy everywhere!!! I told the nurse and they just keep telling me it happens but I'm a diabetic and I have really sensitive skin as it is and I don't want to look like a lobster. I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar issue and any suggestions. Laying awake in the hospital bed in this pain and itchy all over is no fun. Not to mention the weird compression cuffs on my leg also not helping the cause! Has anyone gone through this surgery? If so was the pain that bad for you? Did you get itchy as well? How long were on a liquid diet? Any suggestions?!

• I had an L5-S1 Discectomy on October 30th. I also had severe back pain like you. I also had very low blood pressure issues and oxygen sat issues as well. I am also in the boat and have very sensitive skin. I am so sorry that you are in so much pain!!! It took the nurses a very long time to get my pain under control. I was on liquid diet for about 3 days. But since surgery I have been dealing with sever nausea. Ice packs have helped my back pain. Also muscle relaxer. ( Robaxin) I pray that your pain goes away soon!!!! If you have any more questions feel free to PM me!!
    L5-S1 Emergency PLIF Revision May 26th 2015
    L5-S1 PLIF May 22nd 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Feb 27th 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Oct 30th 2014.
  • Morphine can cause itching. If you break out in a rash or have any other symptoms of an allergic reaction, alert the staff immediately. I had a similar surgery from L3-S1. I was painful but I was up walking the same day as surgery and I walked to the restroom, it hurt a lot, I had a very large incision. Have you asked about trying something else for pain? Morphine never made me itch and I was never on a liquid diet with my surgery. I started feeling better when they started me on oral pain meds in addition to the morphine drip. Maybe they can give you something for sleep. I was given a sleep aid because I was battling with the pain too. How long is your hospital stay? Just keep letting the staff know that your pain is not being managed and hopefully that can add or change the medication all together.

I hope you get some relief.
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • I am now about 6 weeks and 5 days post op but still having a really tough time. The surgeon said my nerve was basically flat! So I know these things take time. My right leg is really weak and I get really tight pressure in my thigh, calf, and foot. Sometimes when walking it feels like my leg is being pulled out of its socket. My mid/ upper back are also in a lot of pain now. I don't know what could be causing that. I keep telling my doctor that but he assures me it's normal??? My lower back still hurts around the incision site, but also the original pain I felt prior to surgery is still present. Like I said I am only a little shy of 7 weeks post op but I feel like I should have felt some relief by this point.