Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

22 yr old male Microdiscectomy

culaniccculanic Posts: 12
edited 12/02/2014 - 12:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey guys

After herniating my disc in May (l5/s1) and doing all forms of conservative therapy nothing has really helped. I can sit (barely) though standing and walking for even a few minutes at a time is out of the question. My life has been on hold. Postponed my masters degree and being unable to walk since May is driving me insane. I finally decided to have surgery (against the wishes of my parents who would like me to wait as long as it takes to heal) after the tram stopped and I was forced to walk 200 metres. This literally killed me. It was at that moment I decided to have surgery. I am having a microdiscectomy on the 11th of December 2014. I feel as if no amount of physical therapy has helped. Not being able to walk at all since May is extremely frustrating. If I had to continue living with this pain life would not be worth it. I would just like some people to share their experiences with having a microdiscectomy and if it helped them.

Thanks a bunch!!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I didn't have a Microdiscectomy but I had a open Discectomy at that same level back in 2002. I also had leg pain before surgery and after surgery the pain was gone. Are you dealing with just back pain or do you have extremity pain too? I felt almost back to normal within 3 months. Everyone has different experiences but my surgery back then was a success. I hope yours is too. Just follow the post op instructions closely and you'll have a better chance at a full recovery. No one is ever exactly the same after having a spinal surgery, but you can get pretty close. It's important to take care of your back for the rest of your life. Staying in shape and maintaining good core strength helped me over the years. I wish you the best of luck!

Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • Thanks so much for the reply. I get no back pain at all (just gets stiff if I sit for too long) but leg pain is the killer. Jumps to 10/10 only after a few minutes of being on my feet.
  • I had a microdisectomy of my L4/L5 my neurosurgeon said he took out more than he had planned. I will say that it didnt work for me. It relieve a fraction of the sciatica and nerve pain but I also am having other.issues and believe I re herniated as at the time of my surgery last April I had a 8 mo th old and didnt abide by all of my restrictions as I should have but I also really couldn't. I was leary going into it too as Ive heard just as much good as bad. I am also going to note that I had originally herniated my disc over 10 years ago and because I did do nothing I think I caused other issues that made the rest of my back worse. Where you have a fairly fresh injury you may fair better than I did. Good luck and make sure you follow your docs oreders and restrictions and even if your feeling like a million bucks don't do anything he told ya not to lol
  • Thanks for your input!! Really appreciate it. I hope it all goes well. I'll keep you guys posted!!
  • Quick update. Day 3 post op and I feel amazing. Leg pain is currently non-existent and has been since the surgery. Was told some pain might return as the inflammation gradually lessens. First day post op was horrible yet each day I can feel a large improvement. My back is obviously stiff and in some pain from the incision but nothing in comparison to the leg pain prior to surgery. Still feels as if it is all a dream. Wishing anyone luck and I hope permanent pain relief finds you as it did me.
  • after the surgery. Recovery will take a while and it is important that even if you fell better you should take it easy during this critical time. Follow your doctors order to the T and hopefully in no time you will be back to normal. Good luck for continuing and complete recovery!