Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi I'm new, my short story.

tommy22ttommy22 Posts: 2
edited 12/04/2014 - 3:29 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi I'm Tommy. I have a couple of congenital spine conditions that have recently taken their toll causing a herniated l5-S1..
Bertolloti Syndrome, degenerated L4, and a fused l4-l5 at the back of the discs (another congenital deformity).

I have spent most of my life in pain, I am only 26. Recently I saw a chiro and he torqued the side of my body effected by Bertolloti (my pelvis is fused coccyx, and sacrum on the left side, along with the two fused vertibrae in the back)

Well, my spine didn't move, he torqued me so hard I cussed out loud. The next day my left leg has gone numb, I have developed intense sciatica and severe weakness in my left leg, moderate weakness in my right leg. I've always hobbled a bit but I managed to ride my trail bike, and maintain a strength regimen of prison type body weight exercises. I've basically become borderline immobile overnight.

I have gone for two epidurals already, which are excruciating and I have the side effect of becoming drowsy/fatigued for around two weeks and sleeping up to 14-16 hours a day.

Never have I taken pain medication before, but I have opted a light dose of vicodin and a muscle relaxer..they allow me to tie my shoes in the morning and go to work, I'm still not sleeping more than 2 hours at a time and it's starting to take its toll.

Even though I am a legitimate patient I am stereotyped and shamed for taking Vicodin. The glares from the pharmacy workers, the way the pharmacist screams "NARRCCOTTICC NO REFILLS" across the floor at me in front of other customers who in turn stare, the automatic assumption and snide remarks from nurses at my spine clinic, the urine tests, having to go in person to pick up a written refill (come crawling back). It's horrible to be young and deal with this. The whole process is demoralizing and dehumanizing, no one gives a xxxx about us..at all. I've been contemplating expatriating to a more humane nation who will give me medical treatment and compassion, I could make it work.. I am STEM educated with a good resume.