Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Always in pain

Chris123CChris123 Posts: 1
edited 12/05/2014 - 5:43 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am not even sure where to start here? I have had back issues for years now so i guess I will give a little history perhaps someone else has gone through this and may have some advice.

I had surgery in July of this year, I had a double disketomy as well as a Laminectomy. I had 2 hernatied disks L4L5 & L5S1 as well I had Coda Equina. I have DDD as well as foot drop as a result of my sciatica so my left foot and part of my leg are always numb and i am unable to lift my left foot off the ground, I have to get a special brace made to assist with walking, I current walk with a major limp. It took a long time for me to be taken serioursly by Doctors because I am only 37 most did not beleive that I could be in that much pain. I have been dealing with pain issues since I was in my 20's.

Anyway, to make a long story short as mentioned I had surgery in July and for the fist little while I really did start to feel better, My pain seemed to be all but gone and I started to feel like I was going to be able to lead a somewhat normal life. That quickly faded away and now I am living in constant pain again, I get bad spasms, sciatic issues again, jolting pain that comes and goes and when it comes its like I am getting shot or stabbed in the back is the only way I can describe it, it almost knocks me to the floor sometimes. Constant ache and muscle pain ect.. ect..

I have come to the conclusion that my surgery just simply did not work as I suppose it should have. I have to take pain meds everyday and they barely work and I have to fight with my family doctor to get them, as I know he is not taking my pain level seriously enough and doesn't want me to take anything? I am currently on Lyrica 150 mg twice per day and Percocet for break through pain 2 tablets up to 8 times per day which is just nuts and still my pain level is constantly an 8 out of 10 most of the time. My Doctor recently tried to switch my medication to Dilaudid and I did not like that at all, just made me feel doppy all the time so back to the percocet and feeling like a drug addict when I ask for more.

Not sure why I am even posting this to be honest, Just hoping someone out there has gone through this and will tell me that one day things will get better.

I am a married father of 2 amazing children and it hurts my soul that I am not able bodied enough to keep up with them, I can't run, or jump or build stuff with them.

I have done all the therapies and everything the doctors have told me to and I feel like I am right back at the begining again.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post - I appreciate any advice or input you may have
Toronto, Ontario

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I am dealing with daily pain also. I don't quite have the issues that you have. Mine are in my neck. After 3 yrs of pain in my neck,shoulders and arms, I finally got some help and found that I had a disc in my neck that was herniated and pushing against my spinal cord. My condition was steadily declining. I had fusion surgery in September. I am still in as much pain as I was before but we were able to stop the spinal cord compression. I am on gabapentin 300. I am taking 2 in the morning, one mid day and 2 at night and then also taking a muscle relaxer 3 times a day. I get horrible headaches to go with it and now I have been referred to a neurologist to control those. I am 36 yrs old with 4 kids also. I am married to a great man that is trying to help me as much as he can. It also bothers me that I cant do as much as I want to with them.
    I wish I had advice for you but I can relate to what you are going through. I hope you get some help with your pain. It sounds like you are overcoming some really big issues and Cauda Equina is a very serious issue as you know. Just give yourself time and a break. Its a lot to heal from especially when you have had pain and issues for years. Good Luck
    Tracie C
  • can continue for a couple of years, so you are still in the early days of recovering, as frustrating as that may be for you right now.
    The damage to the nerves may continue to improve over time, depending on the extent of it.....You are on a low dose of Lyrica for nerve pain, it has a maximum daily dosage of 600 mg per day, so if you are not getting enough relief, then you might want to talk to your doctor about a different dose. Also , when it comes to pain medications, if a doctor thinks that a patient will be on meds for an extended period of time, he usually switches them over to a longer acting medication that needs to be take only twice per day , so the patient gets better overall pain control. It might be worth talking to your doctor about one of hte long acting medications .
  • Chris123 I'm so sorry about your situation. Have you ever worked with a pain management physician? I think you will get more understanding & help from one since that is their specialty & they constantly work with patients with chronic pain. They also can offer more options than just constantly increasing your medication dosage, which I know is awful for you. I can't even take Lyrica. I was on it for about 6 months & I was only taking 100mg at night & I would be a zombie through out the next day until around 3 or so. So I finally had to just quit taking it.
    I hope you find a good doctor who will help you manage your pain so that you can regain the quality of life you need.