Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I healed naturally

pirate14ppirate14 Posts: 1
Post removed by originator's request
recovered naturally after 2.5 years of chronic sciatica and back pain.

• Hi, Pirate - You mentioned only one of the three stretches. What were the other two? Also, what were the details on the toe touch stretch, like how long to hold it? I used to do a lot of toe touch stretches when i hurt my back in the past, and i still can, but now with the nerve injury i need to be most careful to avoid stretching the nerve in my hamstring/ leg bicep, as that makes things much worse. So i can still do that stretch, but i need to keep my bad leg slightly bent while doing so. - W
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,868
    The thread created by pirate14 and his experiences are to be noted.

But what is much more important is to NEVER take what worked for one individual and try to apply it to yourself.
    What is good for one person, may spell disaster for another.

That is why you should always discuss things with your doctor regarding any type of treatments. There are so many gimmicks out there, that only make a few people rich and may help 1 or 2. But the law of averages have proven that its the time and true methods used by the medical field that will help.

Now, I am also very open minded to extend that to both the western and eastern forms of medicine. Over the years I have done both and it has kept me going so far.

But please dont look to a toe stretch or another stretch as your answer. In fact , that might be the one thing that sends you back for more surgery.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi, Ron - Of course I'm just looking for ideas to try out and maybe very carefully experiment with...if I think they might possibly fit me, that's all. As for the discuss with your health care prof./doctor advice, in my experience, there is one big advantage to listening to what people say on a forum like this, and that is that most people are being honest and sincere and caring, and unfortunately, also in my experience, most doctors are not, and, especially nowadays, are basically thinking of hustling me out of the office as quickly as possible to get to the next one on line, and maybe their new boat or swimming pool. You know how they are notorious for listening to only the first few words the patient says? Of course there are exceptions, but they are rarer all the time.

PS Technically this forum has been fairly weird ever since I've been here - not only making me sign on anew each time I check in, but also making me write in a code word again each time..and then sometimes I see my follow up post, and sometimes I don't. It's the only forum I've encountered that behaves like that. is it only me?

Anyway, I was just wondering about the stretches that the doc told Mr Pirate to do. The neurologist once told me to do back stretches, so i asked him what kind, and he just mumbled something incoherent like, "any kind" , so I said, "like toe touch stretches?", and he said, "yeah."

is the captcha box that helps us prevent robot spammers. Without that, we had up to 50 spammers a day, in which one of the moderators had to take care of one at a time.

So, the use of captcha, while may be a bit of an inconvenience to some, is a blessing to those that have to monitor the system.

Today, over 75% of online systems use some sort of captcha mechanism.
  • Oh, thanks for the "capcha box" explanation. I've often seen other places that make you do that initially, but not each time. Shame that a place
    like this that exists only to try to help suffering people should be subject to such harassment. I guess it's mainly the low life hucksters trying to hustle the phony treatments that you mentioned that are doing it.
  • Also Ron (is it OK to call you Ron or do you prefer Mr DiLauro - sorry if I sounded too familiar or rude), you mentioned eastern medicine. What type of eastern med have you found to be beneficial? (I pretty much started off with accupuncture with the usual zero results...), or am I being a bad boy by asking instead of studying the historical posts here?
  • And, Ron, it is true that stretching HAS hurt me badly since the nerve injury (almost 10 months ago now), particularly the toe touch stretch with the leg straight so that my nerve gets stretched, so you're quite right in what you said, and I am certainly not disputing that. Just wanting to listen to possible new ideas.
    as informal as they get. Ron....... Never Mr or MR....

In terms of eastern medicine.... When I was going through a rough time with my thoracic discs (2006/7), 14 months of physical therapy, countless ESIs, etc really didnt help that much.

My physiatrist started me with Acupuncture, which helped, but that was just the beginning of eastern medicine.

I started to learn more about

• - Essential Oil Aroma Therapy
      - Music Relaxation Therapy
      - Mediation
      - Various Teas
      - Ying and Yang
      - Chinese Health Balls
      - Thai Deep/Soft Tissue massage
    Some of those I still practice today. Though it was the prescription I had for the Thai master that made the biggest difference for me. His careful, but painful techniques kept me out of a wheelchair plus he taught me so much more about those eastern techniques I listed above.

That type of massage may not be for everyone, but in my case it was the only thing.

Its really important to continue to explore and never say no to finding a way to help yourself
  • Thanks for that advice about eastern med, Ron. Thai master, huh? How could I find one? You said you had a prescription for him. I did try a massage therapist - American - and she used aroma therapy and gave a very good massage too - but with the usual zero results - I've tried so many things...