Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Evolving Low Back, Hip, and Hamstring Pain

aespindolaaaespindola Posts: 1
edited 12/09/2014 - 10:08 PM in Lower Back Pain
I'm a 21 year old man, 5'11" 160 lbs. For the past 2 months I've been experiencing varying pain in my left low back and strange shooting pain near my upper left hamstring when bending at the waist with a straightened leg. I don't have particularly tight hamstrings and the leg pain does not feel like that of a tight muscle. When the pain first started, I had just started playing basketball at high intensity after not doing much physical activity for about a month. It began as pain only in the bottom of the left lumbar region of my spine, and was only noticeable certain times of the day like morning and after playing basketball, but greatly limited my movement. Over the next couple of weeks I saw a chiropractor numerous times, and he seemed to think that loosening up my spine with cracking and stretching my hamstrings would eventually clear up the pain, but after 4 weeks of frequent visits, the pain had only gotten worse. I now had less frequent low back pain and had pain slightly deeper in my left hip (I believe from the sacroiliac joint) and shooting pains in my left hamstring when initiating a bend at the waist. After a certain angle of bend the hamstring pain subsides. I have found that sitting with my upper body and legs at a 90 degree angle with straight legs is unbearably painful at the left hip joint. For the past couple of weeks, the back pain has been much less frequent and severe, and the hamstring and hip area pain has continued especially while walking uphill and bending over. I have never had a serious spinal/leg injury or pain before this (Although I did severely fracture my left clavicle in January of 2013). I'm now in my junior year of college, and have slowly fallen out of good shape after not playing any sports since high school. I do lift weights frequently, but I regrettably haven't kept up with cardiovascular fitness very well. After doing a lot of research I have suspected the cause of my pain could possibly be sacroiliac joint dysfunction, sciatica caused by a herniated lumbar disk, or maybe pelvic misalignment, but the pain seems to keep changing. This problem is making everyday tasks like getting dressed, walking to class, getting into cars, etc. much more difficult. I'm 21 years old but I feel like I'm 65. Is this a common problem? Am I right in guessing that this pain originates from the sacroiliac joint? PLEASE help if you have any suggestions on what kind of doctor I should see, or if you have any other ideas about what could be causing my symptoms. Any response would be greatly appreciated.