Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

confused about my lumbar spine x-ray...

Brent R.BBrent R. Posts: 2
edited 12/11/2014 - 5:13 PM in Lower Back Pain
i am going for an MRI in 3 weeks in hopes of getting a better answer here...
but in the meantime...here's the problem - I don't have a family doctor & am still desperately seeking one out - so for now, i have to deal with the local Walk-In.
I've had some bad back pain in the lumbar region since taking a fall in the summer. it's on the right side of the spine, deep in the L5 region...the muscles in my middle spin get all "knotty" (best way i can describe) it, too. when doing every day things such as vacuuming or sweeping.
anyway. had an X-Ray & this is what came back...

"there is no indication of fracture of subluxation of the vertebrae. There is a suggestion of a defect in the pars interarticularis of the L5 vertebrae. Oblique views are recommended for confirmation. There is no degenerative disc disease or joint disease"

now here's the confusion for me. the walk-in doc just shrugged off the pars defect part as, "you're basically born with it. it's a common abnormality" - but still couldn't answer why i was having the pain i was & why it was difficult for me to do certain things (the "knotty" thing). I actually had to go back twice just to get the MRI set up! anyway, i went home that night and looked up "defect in the pars..." and it comes up as spondylolysis, which is as most of you know, a "stress fracture" - commonly of the lumbar vertebrae...
so. how come the x-ray came back clear of fracture yet then uses a fancy string of words to suggest i have a fracture? i'm confused.
...and reading more up on things. was an MRI the wise choice vs CT? CT is more for bone-related things, whereas MRI is muscle, right?
excuse my ignorance.
basically i have to start going back to work. or i'll be out on the street (literally). if i won't mess up my back for life & don't care i can deal with the pain.......money is unfortunately most important right now. unless i want to end up in a shelter.

Please remember that no one at Spine-Health is a formally trained medical professional.
Everything that is posted here is based on personal experiences and perhaps additional research.
As such, no member is permitted to provide

• - Analysis or interpretation of any diagnostic test (ie MRI, CTscan, Xray, etc)
    - Medical advice of any kind
    - Recommendations in terms of Medications, Treatments, Exercises, etc

What could be good for someone could spell disaster for another.
You should also consult your doctor to better understand your condition and the do’s and don’t’s.

5.13 You agree not to ask for any analysis or interpretation of diagnostic tests (ie MRI, CTScans, EMG, etc.)

Please take a look at our forum rules: Forum Rules

The questions you are asking can should be discussed with your doctdor

--- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator : 12/11/14 23:12

• Okay. I get it.
    So then, let me ask this general question : what's the difference between a fracture and "a defect in the pars interarticularis of the L5 vertebrae"? - just out of curiosity's sake. if anyone has any experience with either or both and can chime in. not asking for medical advice (as stated, going for an MRI). not asking you to diagnose me (going for an MRI).

• sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 12/12/2014 - 6:29 AM
    under conditions, found at the top of the page, as well as a glossary found in the Frequently asked questions area of Spine Health.