Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

epidural injection for neck? ??

linda55llinda55 Posts: 39
edited 12/21/2014 - 5:11 AM in Spinal Injections
Has anyone had this done? How long does it last? Did it help at all? Having one done tomorrow, Monday the 15....
Hope it helps me.

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    I've had several cervical injections. I had 4 before my first c4-5 fusion. They didn't seem to work for me. Just last month, my pain doctor did another round of them. Again, I didn't feel any relief. I have some friends that say the injections helped them? I guess everyone is different. I hope they work for you.
  • I have had several injections also, they also didn't help me. Buy my wife had some and they did help her. I knew before I had mine done that there wasn't much chance of relief, I was just hoping for a couple days. They are pretty simple procedures and well worth the time just for the chance of it giving some relief.
  • WolfpackSVBWWolfpackSVB Posts: 216
    edited 12/16/2014 - 8:27 AM

If you only have bulging or a small tear then an injecton and a course of steroids can help. But, if you have a true herniation in which the disk is broken and pieces of it are sitting on the nerve root then I would steer clear of injections and any form of physical therapy.

Good luck,

• Doctor said a week at least! Had it done Monday the 15. ...been off work, so I really want know till I get back to work. When I took off work the pain went away even before my shot! What......work must really have a great effect on me!
  • Linda -

I had two rounds of injections. The first provided three weeks of relief. The second actually made my pain worse. Sitting makes my pain flare so it's worst when I am at work (computer work) or driving, and basically nil at home. I had an ACDF November 11, and am still recovering, though I am back at work. I have degenerative disc disease and had a herniated disc at C6/C7 and severe foraminal narrowing on the left side which gave me upper back pain and shooting pain down my left arm. So far after surgery, the arm pain is gone. Just letting the muscles recover now.

• I also have DDD..... and severe arthritis in my neck. I go back to work Monday but the dr said it would take maybe a week to work. I've already been off for a week now, doesn't hurt at all like it did when I was working. So my work (physical) meaning I use my hands a lot involving using my neck muscles a lot I'm assuming! Lol so I will know more when I return to work! On weekends off it would go away until I returned to work a big ouch! Only after 1 day of work! I've already has One surgery done almost 2yrs ago acdf..C6 C7and Another one can't remember which one this one I believe is the C 3...which hurts more than the last ones did.i just had pain when I would try and lay down at night, numbness, and twinkling, as well. This one lots of both! I wish you well and hope things get better for you!
  • I have also had a pain shot for neck issues. I had a three level fusion due to an advanced state of cervical myelopathy. But the pain shot was after the fusion and in all honesty, I am not sure that I would do this again for the same issue. Best of luck to you!
  • I had the injections in the C5/6 and C6/7 areas. Result, pain was made worse and it expanded from just being in my left arm to both arms with the right actually being worse. I ended up having ACDF on C5-7 and currently finishing up my 3rd week post-op and aside from some stiffness in my neck and back am virtually pain free.
    Josh McCormick
    C5-C7 ACDF