Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain after scoliosis surgery

Abbey_RdAAbbey_Rd Posts: 1
edited 12/18/2014 - 1:24 AM in Scoliosis
Hi, my name is Abbey and I am 19 years old. I had scoliosis correction surgery four years ago and am now suffering from chronic pain. Along with back pain, I have horrible fatigue, anxiety, stomach problems, migraines, joint pain, trouble sleeping, and lightheadedness. My curve was a borderline curve because the curve in my upper spine was 50 degrees and my bottom curve was 49. So my spine was 'balanced'. The reason I decided to definitely get the surgery was to try to relieve the head and neck pain along with dizziness I was experiencing. Unfortunately I regret getting the surgery because it has only made things worse. I am so relieved that I found this website because I have seen so many doctors in my area that have convinced me that there is no back pain relating to scoliosis. I know the pain is real and I am searching for people who know the pain I'm going through. No one understands how hard it is to just get out of bed in the morning. Laying down is the only way I am somewhat comfortable. My mom yells at me for constantly sleeping and has been accusing me of being depressed. It is incredibly frustrating... Work is a constant struggle, I am in retail, so I am always on my feet. My boss doesn't care to understand my condition also, so calling off is always a major issue. I hope what I wrote connected with someone out there and once again I am thankful for all of you who have shared your stories. Stay strong xo
Abbey :)

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • scoliosismelsscoliosismel Posts: 1
    edited 01/26/2015 - 9:22 AM
    I am 33 and had my surgery when I was twelve not by choice but because my curve was so bad. I have been experiencing chronic pain for last 5 years that is there all the time. I'm out of work because I couldn't keep up with everything that comes along with being a teacher. I felt like my boss and coworkers didn't understand, but no one does unless they have chronic pain too. Also love lying down. It's the only way I'm comfortable. I know I'm depressed and on medication for that too. I take my prescription and over the counter medications. I swim, meditate, stretch, ice, heat, use tens unit, and try anything I see on TV and internet. I have had injection and my nerves burned 4 and soon to be a fifth time. Very frustrating but have to keep trying because giving up won't help.
  • Hi, I'm Lisa. I had my scoliosis fusion in 05'. I was 13 and was at a 68* curve. Fused t1-l2. My scoliosis went hidden due to my muscular frame. I was very into gymnastics pre op. About 2 years ago I started having chronic pain. I'm a hairstylest and even though it's extremely hard on me physically, I absolutely love my job. I'm currently in the process of trying to find a solution to my pain as well. I've never been one for pills and unfortunately being tough only got me raised blood pressure. So I'm currently taking hydrocodone 5-325. Typically just one at night. On a bad day two. I fear of what will happen to me in my 40's after years on medication. Kidney and liver failure? Im glad that I am not alone in this stuggle.
    I have massive knots, nerve pain/damage, hip and knee pain ( due to my pelvic tilt) my neck has now gone into a reverse curve, IT band syndrome, muscle spasms, migraines, and I also get blurred vision from time to time.
    I've also done: physical therapy, 10's unit, massage, trigger point injections, taken every pain killer known, tried yoga, worked with a trainer, heat&ice..you name it I've done it. The only thing that every gave me a few days of release was working with someone who did OMM. The combo of streaching and massage was on point. I have an appointment with a D.O. this week and hopefully it will pay off.
    I don't know about you but I want a solution. Not just another drug that may or may not help.. or might help temporarily but then stop.
    My best advice is to keep a good mindset. I have never let my back stop me from doing anything, hopefully that will continue. If I find anything helpful, I will share.
    Good luck.