Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cortisol injection new pain HELP

NoroNNoro Posts: 4
edited 12/19/2014 - 2:38 AM in Spinal Injections
A month ago I received my 3rd cortisol injection, the first two providing no pain relief. During the injection the doctor hit a nerve, it felt similar to the sciatica pain I experience just much more intense and my entire leg to toe lit up. I keep telling myself it help slightly with lower back even though it feels about the same. Even told the Dr. it helped because I feel like I made a mistake it getting it and just want to be out of pain. However I now experience pain in my groin area, and in severe onsets pain in the calf last sever minutes . It always comes on when sitting for to long, and other times laying down and standing.

Has any one had experience a problem after cortisol injection? How long did the increase pain last? I've recently got a new back doctor, (moved so old one is a great distance form me)
After the first visit I feel he has very little empathy for suffering. Says that the mri DDD bulging disc, stenosis, is much further than it should be for my age yet mild & no w? Red flags (nerve impingement etc) that should be causing my pain. I'm having trouble talking to him about how this pain is effecting my life, & fear other procedures. That could make it worse. I feel rushed, and its like the fact I don't need surgery, that everything is fine. I brought up the injection and he just changed the subject.
Any thoughts on what I should do, or how to approach this? I've been trying to tough it out for too long to the point I feel spent, and even having trouble speaking up & advocating for my self.
advertisement

Comments

• days to a week, depending on the person. Ice and avoiding things that you know will increase the pain is the best option to manage the flare up.
    If you are unhappy with the doctor you are seeing, then your best option is to find another one, whom you can talk to , whom you feel is listening to you.

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/injections
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    I just started with a pain clinic in July but have found the first validating place for pain in my life! The doctor I was assigned to is the new "kid"- first day as an attending and I think he's great but because he will listen and validate my pain. I swear, I experience less pain just with the hope that I now have a team of doctors who know how to help me. I have had 2 steroid injections so far and I'm not thrilled with their effectiveness but I have agreed to try what I have not tried before. I have been consistent in my physical therapy and taken my meds as prescribed (I'm the one who is usually too afraid of pain meds so I skip them and wonder why the pain persists.)
    But I still have to say, despite all the different treatments I'm pursuing it's all mostly because I can feel comfortable talking to these doctors. I'm 48 now and I badly injured my back when I was 8 years old- I've been through a LOT of doctors who did not listen or who shut me down. When I saw the doctor this week I expressed my ambivalence with the next steroid injection due in a few weeks. Being able to discuss the pros and cons made a huge difference.
    I strongly encourage you to tell your doctor that you feel like he is not listening to you and to look for another doctor if his behavior does not change.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)