Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My nightmare

ctabor2cctabor2 Posts: 3
edited 12/19/2014 - 8:00 PM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
My name is Chris and have been living with degenerative disc in my L3 to L5 and degenerative SI Joint. I have gone through 12 different facet injections where only the numbing medication worked at all, spinal tap, multi Mri's and ct's. I seen three different surgeons all stating I need to have the SI Joint fused but my insurance will not cover the surgery. My insurance only covers pain rehab and not pain management doctors. My family doctor has tried all medication all the way up to fentanyl 75 mcg with some to little success managing the pain ! I have been living with mega chronic pain since 2008 and my question to you is. Do you think a pain pump finally show me any form of relief?
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,910

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    Under most circumstances, degenerative disc disease is manageable with over the counter NSAIDs and approved exercise programs. Surgery is left only for specific situations.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • with your insurance if they refuse to cover it....... if it is medically necessary, and there aren't other options that are working to treat the pain, then you may need to suggest that they file an appeal with your insurance.
  • Lisa JoyLLisa Joy KentuckyPosts: 21
    edited 03/10/2015 - 1:08 AM
    ctabor2 said:
    My name is Chris and have been living with degenerative disc in my L3 to L5 and degenerative SI Joint. I have gone through 12 different facet injections where only the numbing medication worked at all, spinal tap, multi Mri's and ct's. I seen three different surgeons all stating I need to have the SI Joint fused but my insurance will not cover the surgery. My insurance only covers pain rehab and not pain management doctors. My family doctor has tried all medication all the way up to fentanyl 75 mcg with some to little success managing the pain ! I have been living with mega chronic pain since 2008 and my question to you is. Do you think a pain pump finally show me any form of relief?
    I know how frustrating this can be, I've been completely bed ridden for 14 months because my I insurance co will not approve my fusion. My surgeon just sent our 9th appeal yesterday and I'm hopefully cautious. We have done everything possible to help: PT, steroid injections, PRP (4 rounds), and every pain med, inflammatory med, nerve med, etc out there. Because this is a mechanical issue a stimulator will not help. I've been living with this pain since shortly after my fusion in 2007 and we now believe that this was my original problem that started in 2003 and the fusion made it worse. I'm on high doses of pain meds and my pain stays at a 7-8, yesterday after being out at my dr's my pain last night was at a 10 but going to the ER here will do you no good because they look at you as an addict seeking drugs so I've been up all night doing various things and finally my pain is down to an 8.

I don't know what to tell you except that you are not alone. I know how bad your pain is and how hopeless you feel because your insurance won't approve the one thing that could possibly end your pain or at least make it so you can be off of pain meds. Feel free to message me.
    Blessings,
    Lisa Joy

Minor scoliosis, fusion of S1-L5-L4, discs replaced at L4/L5 and L5/S1 2007, spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, left and right SI Joint dysfunction with fractures along illiac crest, and vacuum phenomenon.
advertisement