Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain six months after spinal fusion surgery affecting my life!

Hockey1234HHockey1234 Posts: 1
edited 12/21/2014 - 6:45 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, my name is Oliver.

I am 26 years old. I required an L5-S1 Laminotomy and Spinal Fusion six months ago. I have attended physical therapy sessions 3 days a week for four months post-surgery. Though no longer attending physical therapy at an institute, I stretch daily and continue the exercises 3 days a week minimum. My doctor told me at my last visit (2 months ago), I should start being able to do the things I used to do with some pain but it would eventually go away. It hasn't. I used to play hockey. My doctor knows that. I started skating again, not playing games or even using a hockey stick, but just skating. It went alright, I'm nowhere close to competing, however, I can't even cough or sneeze without cringing! Putting screws in a bookshelf made my back hurt for three days! A full day of sitting in class (I'm in college) is the worst. I haven't been on pain killers in nearly 1 1/2 months; My doctor says at this point I should be seeing improvement and the pain should subside. I signed up on this website because I feel like I've hit a plateau. If I compare month 2 of recovery till now (month 6), I don't feel like the pain has decreased. My CT-scan and X-rays show everything is normal. I don't overly exert myself. What's the deal?

This is greatly affecting my life. My overall mood has changed. I feel tired all day most days. I am recently married and my sex life is almost non-existent because it's simply too painful. I've looked up forums, but haven't really found someone near my age (I probably haven't looked hard enough) with a similar surgery going through the same ordeal? I guess at this point I need to hear that at 6 months, feeling a decent amount of pain is normal? If I could compare the pain to something; imagine a hard leg workout, the muscle soreness the next couple days - my back feels like that all day most days. Yes I ice it!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Well, I am 10 years older than you, but I can relate. I'm only 3 months out from my L5/S1 fusion and just doing a few normal tasks throughout the day is exhausting. Now I have the added issue that the fusion seemed to have affected the nerves in my left foot and it doesn't work properly anymore, so just walking (with a cane) is hard. I knew the fusion surgery/recovery would be long, but it's hard to be patient. I can't even begin to imagine trying to ice skate!!

Are you taking any nerve meds like Gabapentin/Lyrica/Neurontin? Is it possible what you're feeling is nerve pain and not muscle? It's so hard to go through a surgery this big and know that it was necessary and yet still lose half a year (or more) to recovering. My guess is that you are just doing too much too soon.
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014