Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

confused and frustrated- Duplicate thread

LottieLLottie Posts: 3
edited 12/23/2014 - 5:35 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi there,
I have been having a really hard time with things. A personal trainer who had been giving me a few very gentle knee exercises suddenly gave me heavy weights and pulled a "Tough Mudder" act on me which caught me by total surprise. She never took my history, although I was also in a class she teaches where you needed a doctor's prescription because I already had back problems and pelvic floor problems. After protesting that the weights were too heavy, she fought back, and since I was able to pull them, push them, I figured everything was okay. By the third time I used them I had a horrible experience. That was almost 6 months ago.

Since then, I have had an MRI for my lower back and one for my neck. I will stick to the lower back here. I was in horrible pain almost as soon as it happened, and still cannot do a lot of things like lift almost anything with weight (4 pounds max), bend down, etc.

My MRI showed bulging discs at L4 L5 and L5 S1 with a small annular tear at L5 S1. However, the discs did look evenly spaced. I was scheduled to have a lumbar facet diagnostic test --- until I found out that my in-network doctor use in out-of-network surgical facility and had to cancel last minute.

The other thing that happened is that within a month of the injury, I had gradually acquired a creeping burn that either goes right up side the center of my butt or on either side, making it really hard to sit. If I do, I'm in excruciating pain.

Needless to say my whole life has been turned around by this event. Whereas before I was happily in my hydrotherapy class swimming around, and taking nice long walks, now I cannot do exercise (flares) other than walking, as any sitting is horribly painful and even walking can be painful if it's any kind of hill.

When I stand even that is painful after a while. As my hips and the fronts and sides of my thighs and also knees get very sore. I really do think there is a very high likelihood that I do have disk problems and/or lumbar facet problems – and spinal segmental instability – at a minimum. Also told, possibly annular tear which I hear is also controversial.

I guess I'm just looking for clarity. Has this happened to other people? This burning pain after a trauma, that comes on slowly? Or lack of ability to sit? What was your diagnosis? Were your doctors nice? How did they treat you? What helped you? At what point did you seek pain management?

Also I am not sure whether to make an appointment with a pain manager now or wait until after I get my lumbar facet block diagnostic. After seeing the next dr. who agrees to do this obvious diagnostic.

It's really hard being treated like a little kid (I am an adult), scammed, and in so much pain, after having had a very happy time. It's so hard to take in so much. It's hard to clean my house, it's hard to lift things, cooking, cleaning, writing, opening pill bottles, sitting at all, managing the pain. Never had any of the upper body problems before and now, i can't even sit. I am getting very isolated. Lotsa ice, ice, ice~! (I have left out all the details about the related neck disk injury here.)

--on top of all of this, I have to do all my own research because doctors don't seem to know what they're doing.

Many thanks in advance - hoping others here can at least understand some of these issues. Happy Holidays!