Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

have a question

icehockeyaaroniicehockeyaaron Posts: 10
edited 12/25/2014 - 3:37 AM in Recovering from Surgery
so im about 6mos post op of my discectomy/laminectomy and i will be getting an epidural in late jan for my reoccuring leg pain and moderate back pain, i want to ask if anyone has done similar? i am feeling much better than a few mos ago however i just cant shake the lingering effects... i started to excersise more and more lately and really not much diffrerence in pain, i can say its not as bad which is good however i just want to hear anyone who has gotten over the hump and about how long it took, i know we all heal diffrerntly however i cant shake the feeling i may be unable to pass this hump and constantly be living in pain without presctiption drugs, anyways any support helps!!! thanks all!!!
once an ice hockey player always an ice hockey player
advertisement

Comments

• Spine surgery recovery can take some months to fully recover from and about a year or so to know where you may end up pain wise. Since things are slowly improving, , it is common to have what seems to be plateaus during the recovery period.
    Keep doing what you are doing, and hopefully in a few more months, you will see a significant difference from where you are now.
  • sandi said:
    Spine surgery recovery can take some months to fully recover from and about a year or so to know where you may end up pain wise. Since things are slowly improving, , it is common to have what seems to be plateaus during the recovery period.
    Keep doing what you are doing, and hopefully in a few more months, you will see a significant difference from where you are now.
    i did have good drs who told me that 6mos was kind of minimum with the amount of pain i was in and the length of that pain as well. i really just would love to hear someone a year out with kind of a similar story to see what their routine is now, i am still currently taking 300mg a day of lyrica and motrin 800, i only resort to my norco when i really need it which is a drastic improvement because i was taking 2 every 6hrs now im taking 2 a day . thanks for the response im being as paitent as possible with this!!! : )
  • I moved your thread to Surgery Recovery. If you search through this and the Back and neck surgery forums, you will find many, many threads regarding recovering from your type of surgery.
    6 months is the minimum, some take longer.......and the rate of progression may slow as I explained earlier, but then continue , as more time passses. Hang in there, I am sure others will come in and answer your concerns.
  • Aaron - I also had a Microdisccectomy / Laminectomy in June for a massive L5 S1 herniation. My issues have been more nerve pain in my foot with weird numbness. I had no leg pain at all after surgery, but at about 5 months some reappeared that continues to come and go. I did have had a follow up MRI that Dr said was clean. I also had a nerve conduction test that showed moderate nerve damage to my S 1 nerve root. I then had a spine injection that did me nothing at all. Recently, I was referred to a pain management Dr and he switched me to 300 mg of Lyrica from Gabbapetin which seemed to help. I'm also now on a pain med called Lucynta which also seems to help. Currently I feel that I'm slowly getting a little better, but not even close to 100%. I have also been told that after 1 year I should know where I'm gonna be for the most part. Like you I have about another 5 or 6 months to go. If I do not progress to a manageable level my Dr has mentioned a spinal cord stimulator (I hope it doesn't come to that). So with all that said, like you, it seems to be a waiting game. Hang in there and try and stay positive!
  • Thanks guys, I'm trying the injection I'm not convinced it will do anything, maybe help with my sharp pains, but I've had continued leg pain since before surgery it has changed some but I find myself still in a great deal of pain... my low back doesn't hurt anywhere near after surgery so that's a plus but it was only worse than before so it's not like I'm better than before I'm just better after being cut to shreds....im hanging in hopefully soon I will see more and more progression, from what I see it's much more common to have a micro however mine was a normal incision and procedure.. anyway shot next week I will update after that!!
  • Rods pain said:
    Aaron - I also had a Microdisccectomy / Laminectomy in June for a massive L5 S1 herniation. My issues have been more nerve pain in my foot with weird numbness. I had no leg pain at all after surgery, but at about 5 months some reappeared that continues to come and go. I did have had a follow up MRI that Dr said was clean. I also had a nerve conduction test that showed moderate nerve damage to my S 1 nerve root. I then had a spine injection that did me nothing at all. Recently, I was referred to a pain management Dr and he switched me to 300 mg of Lyrica from Gabbapetin which seemed to help. I'm also now on a pain med called Lucynta which also seems to help. Currently I feel that I'm slowly getting a little better, but not even close to 100%. I have also been told that after 1 year I should know where I'm gonna be for the most part. Like you I have about another 5 or 6 months to go. If I do not progress to a manageable level my Dr has mentioned a spinal cord stimulator (I hope it doesn't come to that). So with all that said, like you, it seems to be a waiting game. Hang in there and try and stay positive!
    Rod what is the nerve test you had done, I need to ask my Dr about that, they claimed no nerve damage at all but I never asked how they tested it, I'd like to know for next week, thanks again
  • Its called a EMG / NCS.....They hook you up to a machine and measure / test the signal traveling through your nerve. Hope your shot helps....mine did nothing at all for me...With that said my brother gets them and they work good for him for about 6 weeks.
  • Rods pain said:
    Its called a EMG / NCS.....They hook you up to a machine and measure / test the signal traveling through your nerve. Hope your shot helps....mine did nothing at all for me...With that said my brother gets them and they work good for him for about 6 weeks.
    Thanks a lot! And no the shot didn't do Jack except numb me up for a few days which honestly felt good but it's always tough feeling that pain come roaring back at full effect!!
advertisement