Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

overdid it for the holidays

Hi all! I had l5 s1 fusion with instrumentation of 12/2 and despite all intentions to take it easy, I overdid it at the holiday I think I must have bent and twisted and am now back in bed. Amazing how tender the body still is. I also fell in the shower and hurt my tailbone. Praying I didn't do any major damage. Still relying on opiates and afraid of becoming addicted. Anyone else have this fear or feeling sore after Christmas? Hears to a better New Year for us all!

• I had ADR surgery Dec 2, and I KNOW I've overdone it. Haven't been in this much pain since pre-surgery. Planning on taking it easy tomorrow, using my heating pad and a pain pill if necessary.
  • Thanks to the generosity of friends I didn't do much, but apparently overdid as well. Considering my cervical myelopathy has gotten worse in the last few days, I'll call the doc if I continue to worsen (I am lucky to be friends with one of the PA's that work for my surgeon!).

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• Pamela9PPamela9 WashingtonPosts: 42
    Merry Christmas! Our holiday meal was a joint effort and I spaced things out but it was still toooo much. (would have been nice to eat !) A very long day My cervical myelopathy including tipping over, and full body tingling came back last week. Feeling too over-whelmed with ongoing soft tissue esophageal tests and upcoming first PT visit to even bother contacting NS. My throat itself hurts more than my neck, right now. Have only had to take half of a 5mg Oxy in the past month and feel very fortunate, though I still take acetaminophen 1000 mg every 6 hours and a Turmeric supplement along with the gabapentin and tizanidine. Overall, I am doing remarkably better than prior to my 9/16 ACDF/4. cristiben, I am always afraid of becoming addicted to opiates, but they do serve a purpose in our recovery. You JUST had surgery 12/2!! Taking the medication according to the prescription should not be a problem this early. Looking forward to the New Year. Pam
  • hi christy i myself had a week in hell. Severe sciatica and back pain, this is actually my second flare up during this year. I had a procedure done on my l5 s1 last year. Happy holidays, im sure you'll get better
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,853
    edited 12/27/2014 - 8:38 PM
    is something that happens to probably 99.99% of people who have been though spinal surgery! We understand the restrictions, the limitations we are under, but for one reason or another, in our control or perhaps not, we break those rules.

And then we pay the price!

If you ask people who have been in chronic pain for years, I will sure they can identify scores of times that this has happened to them. Then we go into those flare up times. Hopefully, these last only a short period of time.

This can happen as many of you just described shortly after surgery or even years after surgery. We all hope those flare ups go away quickly. For some, that could be up to 2 weeks. But still , when in doubt, listen and understand your body, and for peace of mind contact your doctor to discuss it.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com