Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Medications - No need to justify

We read hundreds of new threads every day and there are always a few topics that come up so frequently.
One of them has to deal with how people view their pain medications.

We hear:

• - I dont like taking medications
    - I dont want narcotics
    - I dont like how it makes me feel
    - I fear about getting addicted
    - I really dont want to take any
    - Its not enough I need more
    - Doesnt touch me
    - etc
The truth of it all, is that when you are in real pain, but it acute or chronic, you need to take something to help with that situation.

Lets start off with some facts. Your doctor does an assessment on your situation based on diagnostic testing, clinical observations and one on
one communications. Doctors are trained on understanding the above. Based on this, they will recommend a set of medications to best fit
the condition.

Some patients will agree with that, some will feel they need more, some really dont understand.

When you are having real pain, you need help. So, when a doctor prescribes pain medications, they are doing that for a specific reason.
Some people might resist that. Some do it because they believe if they speak about narcotics in a bad way, they will be also convincing their
doctor that pain medications are bad, SO, if they ask for more, its only because they really need it.

I dont want to take narcotics. Yes, there are some folks in the USA as I am sure in other countries, that do NOT take ANY medications.
Now, if you fit into that category, then stating you dont want to take narcotics can make sense.

My major point here is that the doctors know a lot more than you may take them for. They understand when pain medications are required and
when they are not. I've been on narcotics for over 10 years steady now and for the most part of the past 35 years. My doctor does not hesitate
prescribing narcotics for me,.... For her its simple. She knows I need them now and when there comes a time when I don't need them but want them,
she will understand and have to make some changes.

Doesn't matter if you are 14 or 84, when is needed is needed and what is right is right. Most of the time it comes down to a level of trust and confidence.
When you can have that in each other , so many other simple things start to fall into place.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• shouston7sshouston7 SOUTH CAROLINAPosts: 33
    You said it perfectly, Dilauro. Be accountable to yourself and to your Prescribers, It is a matter of trust between both Dr. and patient, no one else needs to really know what your prescribed. For many of us it is the only way we can have any relief, and with the combined treatment of PT and injections, tens, massage, it is just a part of our ways of having any quality to our lives.
    thanks for the words!
    S. Houston
  • My Doctors & surgeons say the same thing as they try so hard to prevent heart damage etc from the excessive pain levels I can't seem to stop. Their medications have all failed to stop it as well so I wonder what DOES it take to actually "control" pain. And if I ever do find something that does, will I even be awake enough to know it:-) I have tried in desperation to post twice now asking for advice on which to choose for MY pain. I have been given 2 choices, a pain pump or neurostimulation implant which I feel is more of a gimmick, at least for my type of pain. I just can't decide what action to take. I am SO literally terrified of the pain pump after reading some horror stories here. Yet I dream of the possibility of actual medication that can relieve the pain while NOT making me a zombie. I wish I could just get feedback. No idea what I am doing wrong to not get posted for help...
    Fusion With Hardware C5/C6
    Fusion With Hardware L3 THROUGH S1