Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How Do You....

PRIESTESSPRIESTESS Posts: 807
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:19 AM in Fibromyalgia
How do you deal with the depression that so often accompanies Fibro? I , for one , enjoy talking and chatting with my friends and while I have been on anit-depressants there just seems to be something wonderful about you and your friends leaning on each other to get through. So , in this thread I would like to discuss ways that we all cope but I would also like to use this thread as a place to come for support when we are having a rough day , when depression seems to grab a hold and not let go...a place where we can all lean on each other... :)
advertisement

Comments

• That's what makes me feel better when I'm REALLY down in the dumps. One thing I do often is bake a batch of cookies and share them with neighbours or friends; if I can do something for someone else, it takes my mind off the "negative self talk" that accompanies that depression.

When I find myself retreating, I know it's time to force myself out the door to do more with friends, or at least go for a walk with the dog.

Tracy
  • you can send me some cookies anytime that you want....I would be more than happy to take them off your hands... ;) It is funny that you posted about cookies because Jessi and I were talking one day and we were talking about meeting spineys and she said that you would be the friend that would show up with a batch of cookies and a big ole smile....I guess she was right , huh? You rock chicka !!!! :)
  • AND a batch of my famous black bean salsa...yum, yum, yum! ;)
  • are making me soooooooooo hungry !!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • a recipe thread again, I think! ;)
  • One from the old site was brought over....here is the link...but how about this....you cook and bake and I will volunteer to be your guinea pig to taste everything... :)

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/water-cooler/spiney-recipe-bookcalling-all-cooks
  • Something Tracy said in her post hit home, about being really sucked in. I am messed up. I have added Prozac to my cocktail and awaiting it's arrival, and in the mean time I am having a major depression, I have no energy, totally isolating, and just so weak. My health has turned to where I would be so happy to just be a spiny or fibro or neck issues.
    I am so sick of doctors, hospitals, I have to take blood thinners now and I get bruises all over the place. I have one on my bicep and while it is only a bruise it just makes me cry. I am doing all the right things, I also see a therapist and he is great,and I am handeling everything but I am so tired of bending and turning and hitting road blocks. I walk just about every night, my distance and pace is getting better, and other days it is what it is, but I am doing it.
    I take care of others and I am learning to ask for help. I hate it. Hate it.
    So I am sorry to vent but I guess this is like my first step to opening my mouth. I guess I know that this is the way to help. I do need help and support (see I asked) My head is such a dangerous place.
    I hope this made sense.
    j
    janeth
  • it made perfect sense to me sweetie. I am happy that you decided to open up about things , now this frees us up to help you and be there for you. If I can ever help you or if you ever just want to talk then just let me know and I am so there. Please keep posting and letting us know how you are doing....Miki
  • It makes perfect sense to me too. I've definately been there myself as well. Please PM me anytime. I will be glad to meet you in chat or share any info you would like.
  • thank you both, I really appreciate it.Well today I did receive some good news. Baby steps that is. I got my blood work back. My thyroid has been out of whack for months. I was always hypo and became hyper, so after months of tweaking my synthroid I finally got it in a normal range. I now have to take one dosage 5 days a week and another for 2 days. That has been a real challenge. Also now I have to keep some weight on.Also my B-12 was super low and I have been doing weekly injections and that as well came back in normal levels. Two successes after months of trying, yeah !

The hard part is then why am I exhausted, why the mini stroke? I have one more test on 7/22, that really is not a kind test, rather cruel. However I will talk about that when it gets closer to that date. I am so not wanting to do it, however I need it, so time to grow up. Also the good news is is that when it is over it will be over and hopefully give us some info. With my luck lately it will give us nothing, errr.
    I went and had dinner with 5 girlfriends and had a really good time. I even managed some powder and blush on my face. Mascara was to much of a commitment so I passed on that for today.
    So I am trying to crawl out of this and really appreciate the support. Like I said I need help. Gosh I might be getting better at asking for it.
    Anyway just wanted to let you know today has been better, and today is 10 weeks since my mini stroke and I am ok and I am not in a hospital.I am a work in progress, and the blood test were the first good news I have had in awhile
    jane
  • Hi,
    Vicki here. Sometimes I just break down and cry and cry - hard. It seems uncontrollable. Does this happen to any of you? I'd feel better knowing that sometimes others just have to cry also. I get so depressed. My life has changed so much and it's still so hard to accept. My fibro hit in high gear when within 3 months time our son graduate from college, moved back home then moved out 2 weeks later into an apartment, got married two weeks later - a big wedding, then one month later our house was hit by lightning and burned and we had to move into a hotel for 3 months and during that time my aunt died of Parkinsons and my father in law died suddenly of colon cancer. Way to much for a person that already knew something was not right with their body like everyone's. What brought on other people's fibro? Can you pinpoint it? Thanks, Vicki
  • I have uncontrollable crying spells, and when they're over, I feel a HUGE weight off of my shoulders.

When I spent time at two residential pain clinics last year, they encouraged crying, pounding or screaming into a pillow....anything to release that pent-up stress and frustration. You just can't hold it all in or you'll go crazy, so if you need to cry, cry!! :( You've had more than your share of stress in a short period of time, and I, for one, know exactly what that can do the poor body!!

Take care.

Tracy
  • Hope you're feeling a little better now - you've been through a miserable time this last while.

I'm glad they're exploring all your bloodwork,etc.,and hopefully they'll have some more answers for you. In the meantime, is there anything you can do to keep yourself distracted? I'm glad you went out with your friends - that's a big step when you're feeling "defeated"!

Take care and keep your chin up, Jane (I always used to call you Janet...sorry!). As you said, "baby steps"....and hopefully they'll all lead in the right direction!

Tracy

• T,thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it and it means a lot to me. The depression is still with me, yet I am doing the baby step thing, and making myself get out once a day. Thank god for leggings and big shirts or dresses. I can manage to make myself look prsentable. I swear I look in the mirror and just see a woman who is exhausted. I sleep at night, yet I wake up exhausted. It sounds like resting should be great fun, yet so far from the truth. I hate it. Also for me I now have to take the blood thinners and the bruises are everywhere, and that just makes me cry. I am taking vitamin c, as it is suppose to help, however not doing the trick.
    I did make a positive move and change neurologist and I did not like the other one, and all he would say is " you are to young" I liked the new doctor and the office. He knows his patients, that is what I want, ot to be a number, or a body. So i have some more test to do towards the end of the month but I am not dealing with them until it gets closer. (7/22) So still doing daytime and night time and walking at night.I will keep you guys posted if you don't mind as it really does help to have a sounding board and support. You guys rock.
    j
  • Good luck with the new doc; hope you feel more comfortable with this one. Keep your chin up, Jane!

Tracy
  • how are you doing sweetie? Please check in with us and give us a head's up , just wanting to make sure that you are doing alright.....Miki
  • Tears are good. A lot of times I find myself crying for no reason whatsoever!!! But my old therapist once told me that if I needed to cry, I needed to cry dammit, and there was no reason I shouldn't just do it!!! She also said that feelings are our own, and we must allow ourselves to feel them!! I have always been one to hide my feelings, ignore them, and set them aside to pay attention to others. We need to spend more time feeling our own feelings!!!

Cry if you need to hon, and I will cry with you!!
    Amanda
  • its been awhile since you posted but wanted to let you know you are NOT the only one. :)

OMG You had a WHOLE lot of very bad things happen in a VERY short period of time and its no wonder you felt your whole world collapsing around you!!!.

I too had bad things going wrong in a short time frame as well preceding my 'breakdown', I believe this may be a theme leading to the develeopment of fibro.

I had a car wreck and a lawsuit and then 2 surgeries in 3 months, a cancer scare, lost half my thyroid, then a cross country move away from my son for hubby's job. Within a year I had fainted and suffered a brain injury (found out an underlying cause was adrenal and general exhaustion AND FIBRO syndrome..per my neuro!) :(

I just thought I had chronic pain...who knew?? I always was too stoic I guess; didn't want to get drug dependent and as a RN couldn't work on narcs, ya know?

Anyways...wanted to let you know I scream and cry my losses (career and independence, BRAIN) Some days I am a real trial for my dear husband and then I feel horrid for putting him through what I do. He tries to understand, I know.

Gentle Hugs,

Deb (Mattsmom)
advertisement