Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Changes in California Medical Board Guidelines for Opiate Pain Treatment

CalGregCCalGreg Posts: 2
edited 01/01/2015 - 9:20 PM in Chronic Pain
My wife suffers from Chronic pain in her back. For the last year she has been on 75 mcg Fentanyl patch and 15mg Oxycodone pills for break through pain. She also has Soma pills for the muscle spasms she gets.

While the back pain never went away she was able to at least function enough to take care of or 2 children. She is a stay at home Mom. Last month when we went to or pain management doctor he announced that the California Medical Board has new guidelines for pain management and my wife dosages are to high(Morphine Equivalent dosages per day). So he cut back her Fentanyl patch to 50 mcg this month and she now only has 2x15mg Oxycodone pills per day for break through pain and the Soma for muscle spasms. It is very frustrating because it seems like this is being done with no regard to her pain level. We are thinking about switching pain management doctors. However switching PM doctors is a serious undertaking. Has anybody had this experience in California recently with PM doctors?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I was in another state for a couple of years but I am from northern Ca. When I came back I was sent to drug addiction clinic by the first Doc. Saw another Doctor in the same building and he never has a problem or questioned me. He did question me for asking that I get off the meds. Also; I was a Psychiatric Nurse and when a new doc came along to our unit here ,he took a patient off the meds that had alleviated all of his symptoms. He said because the patient was addicted. After that, the original symptoms all came back , poor guy couldn't tie his own shoes , which was a big positive reinforcement on the unit. So he went back to drooling profusely and would stand in one place and stare ,when the med he was on had stopped all of the symptoms. The here). The med's My client was taking, he had been taking for 20 years. They even helped him live conscientious of emotions. I think it was sadistic, ( pretty sure anyway , don't want to get in trouble here) and I am pretty sure,( almost positive), that it is up to the doc. Then like I said it happened to me. It happened to me.I have had The next two Doctors one in the same clinic ( I used another excuse to switch) Thought I should be taking the meds . It is an awful experience to be shamed for taking care of ourselves. The first Doc. after I came back wanted to evaluate me for drug re hab-, which she herself was probably in ,to make her act like that . That can make some people extremist on the issue.