Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF 11 days later

Well the pain around the incision site is nearly gone and the spine pain is a 5. But now when I stand up I get this shooting pain down my left leg. It starts at hip level and runs down the side of my leg to my shin. The pain level varies each time I get up. Has anyone experienced this? I haven't been too mobile so I'm hoping thats why it hurts and its nothing serious. I go back for my post op with my Orth Dr this monday(1/5/15) so I'm praying that its not a biggie and will go away.

• Almost to 4 weeks post op. I have to no more leg nerve pain but now I have what's feels like a burning sensation where the spacer was put in place. This was done btwn l5 and s1. Curious if the fusion site should feel this way????
  • The pain in the left is now hurting in different spots with varying degrees of pain. Sometimes its just the shin, or just the foot and ankle, and sometimes from the hip down. I'm guessing Doc took a graft from my iliac crest. Sleeping can be rather uncomfortable at times. It still hurts tovlsy on my side so I'm stuck to lying on my back. While I'm on my back I get the feeling like theres a lump. for example, it feels like im laying on a tennis ball. My mom acts like I should automatically have no pain whatsoever after the surgery LOL I have to remind her that it was a major spinal/abdominal surgery and recovery time is 8-10 weeks. So is there anyone on here who feels/felt the same pain and sensations 2 weeks postop? I'd love to hear your stories
  • I had similar pain but it was because of laying so much on my sides that I developed bursitis and had irritated the nerves running down my legs.

It took a while for it to go away. If I remember right, it took about two months to fully clear up. Check with your doc though on your next appointment.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Thank you EMS GUY, I had my two week post-op appointment today, and my Dr. said all the pain and weaknesses I'm experiencing are all par for the course and will eventually go away after some time.
  • Darby how are you doing now?
    I had ALIF L5S1 on 12-4-2014 to repair Psuedoarthrosis from failed TLIF same area in 2012. At 6 weeks out I am having pain deep in lower back, butt, hip and in various places down left leg and foot. I also have an issue with off and on cold left foot - see previous post. I am walking on treadmill 4 x day at slow speed for about 12 minutes each time - walking around house as well and resting sitting up in bed. I wear orthofix bone stimulator 4 hrs a day as well. I need this to work as I cannot imagine going through this a 3rd time. Anyone out there who has gone through similar fusion revision? I would appreciate any suggestions to make this one work.
  • Tomorrow(1/23/15) will be exactly one month since the surgery. So this week I've started to feel a significant amount of painbin the lower back again, but this isn't like the preop pain, it's more like severe muscle stiffness in my back muscle from not being able to bend, twist,etc.. I just want to arch my spine forward and backward to stretch the musvles but I can't. I started PT last week and tomorrow will be my 3rd visit. My therapist has me doing "neutral spine position" exercises. They are just focused on the leg strengthening, doing marches in place,leg lifts, etc... My right leg is pretty good as far as strength and movement but my left leg is really weak and hamstring is so tight that i can barely lift my leg while lying on my back, and moving it forward/backwards while standing is also very limited. I'd be interested to know if anyone else is having the same type of pain after 1 month. Ready...set.....go! :)
  • Now today I have very minimal pain. Its hovering around a 2. What gives?
  • Welcome to the world of good days, bad days! While you are in rehab, you're probably going to have this a lot. Keep in mind though that if something they do in rehab hurts you, tell them! There is a difference in uncomfortable and hurt.

Make sure you tell them about your pain in rehab and when your at the next doctor's appointment. They may choose to modify your treatment if it's causing pain.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Yesterday at therapy I was using the arm cycle and it felt like my spine was rubbing so I immediately called the Doctor and he said it was probably just scar tissue breaking loose and if anything changes to call them on Monday. As Im lying here typing this, my right foot is numb....ugh!!!
  • I sure hope its nothing serious
  • I am 4 weeks post op from a 2 level 360 fusion (ALIF plus posterior instrumentation) plus an artificial disc replacement. On 12/31. I did not have leg pain post op, however at 10 days post op my left leg pain started to come back, and with a vengeance. I started PT this past week, and I too can't straighten either leg. Obviously my bad leg is worse, but both are also super tight along with the left leg nerve pain. However, I was told to walk 30 minutes at a moderate speed every day. Once I start I am almost limping from leg pain, but the more I walk the better the pain gets. Also I really think the PT exercises I'm doing are helping. I seem to have more times during the day where my leg isn't hurting. I am quite surprised, as the doc had told me it could take months or even years to get rid of nerve pain. So I'm happy with ANY reduction in pain. I refuse to take the nerve medication, I just take Tylenol. Hope you feel better! Brandy