Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal fusion and decompression

Anna2806AAnna2806 Posts: 2
edited 01/04/2015 - 4:12 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi I had a spinal fusion in July 2014 and decompression, I still suffer back pain that's worse I have numbness and ciatica in my legs! After op my back was lovely and flat it looked normal it has now gone back but worse like cs wd in all I can describe it looks like a bum where so indented, has it gone wrong ? It feels like it's slipped into my right buttock too can feel something strange, would just like to know if anyone else has had this. Thank you in advance

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 01/04/2015 - 4:50 AM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thanks Liz , does it sound like failed as back looks so horrible, I gad ct scan and the lady who did it said I need to b seen before my next appointment on 16th I tung the surgeons secretary she said I have nothing to worry bout but the pain is awful
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I gave you that link so you could read through the article and see what you think depending on your symptoms. You are only 5 months onto recovery and the article explains about post operative care, it tells you what to expect. Nobody will say it is failed after such a short time.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • It can take up to a full year for a fusion to fully fuse. In my situation, after my 3 month follow up, I was advised that I was nearly fused. What was said during your follow up appointments if you don't mind me asking? Smoking, age, condition, etc... all play factors....

The biggest misconception is that fusions will take away all the pain. That isn't always the case. Often times there's some sort of residual pain for life. That being said, you are only 6 months in. In the grand scheme of things, that isn't a whole lot of time for this kind of surgery, especially if it was caused by a traumatic incident. How many levels were fused? Perhaps some more info would help us to steer you in the right direction and/or provide you with some of the answers you need.

Take care.

PS I didn't understand some of what you were saying. That damn touch phone syndrome at it again? Please touch up on this if you don't mind.
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • Have you started PT yet? I think Physical Therapy is important after a Fusion. Also nerves can take up to 18-24 months to heal. Since you had a decompression I'm sure you had nerves that were compressed? Those can take time to heal. I'm currently in PT and the core exercises are helping with some of the back pain. Walking is important also. Keep moving without overdoing, and I would ask about PT if you're not already in it.

If something was seen on the CT scan that it abnormal, you'll have to wait and see what your surgeon tells you. Generally a copy is sent to the person that ordered it. You may have your own copies as well, but maybe you were told it was okay to wait because the surgeon already looked at them. I'm not saying that is the case, only that it's possible depending on how things work where you live.

I hope you get some answers at your next appointment.
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014