Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L1 Fracture - No brace?

Kewalk90KKewalk90 Posts: 1
edited 01/06/2015 - 6:12 AM in Osteoporosis and Fractures
Hello everybody

I am in my early twenties and a month ago I had a riding accident and suffered a minimally displaced L1 fracture.

I was x rayed and CT scanned, kept in for one night, X rayed again and then discharged. I was given the advice to rest, no heavy lifting, minimal bending and only exercise was to go for walks. I was given pain killers and anti-inflammatories. I was not fitted with a brace.

I have just been for my follow up x-ray (one month on) and told that there is further collapse of my L1 vertebrae and my spine is now "at an angle" as opposed to curved at Thoracic-lumbar junction.

I have been told to continue as I am - rest and walking with possibility of swimming if i am not feeling pain. I have been told that I will probably not be back on a horse for a year, due to the nature of my fracture, which is a major blow as I ride for work and pleasure.

My question is - should i have been fitted with a brace to help prevent further collapse? Would this have sped up my recovery? I have not read of anyone who had an L1 fracture that was not fitted with a brace.
Are there any exercises I can do without risking my spine? I am really struggling with having lost a lot of my independence and feel I am not making the progress that id hoped I would.

Thanks very much.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Theresa559TTheresa559 Posts: 4
    edited 03/08/2015 - 7:17 PM
    I shattered my L1 on 3/25/14. I had to have surgery that day because it was not stable. Then 3 months later because my spine had started to rotate and the vertebra was pushing out I had another. I was in a brace until the first of this year. If I were you I would get another opinion FAST! I have 2 rods in my back to stabilize my spine. I am still in pain and just had some injections in my L 4 & 5 because of low back pain. DO NOT MESS WITH THIS. GO GET ANOTHER OPINION!!!!!
  • I would seek another opinion also. a brace I would have thought would be the minimal they would do.
  • As a radiographer who takes the xrays and scans I too fractured L1 on holiday. My consultant who I trust indefinately told me a brace would reduce the strength of my core. If a fracture is managed conservatively the most important aspect of recovery is a strong core, to maintain your posture, otherwise the muscles etc. involved will fail and further displace/angulate your spine. Hope this helps! A year on after 50% loss of vertebral height I am still to have a day off work and can do almost all the things I used to love. Pilates will save you x