Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Breaking Poiny

I knew that my post op(ALIF) limitations were going to make daily life a little more difficult i. e. no bending, twisting, reaching, and lifting anything over 5 lbs. Even going up and down stairs is pretty darn painful. I've tried for the last two weeks to do it with a smile but today I reached my breaking point :( My mother asked me a simple question and I absolutely flipped my lid, I've been miserable for most of the day and now I feel like crying my eyes out.

• It sounds like you have been very strong so far. Those first few weeks post op are difficult, between the trauma your body has been through, all the different medications, pain and lack of sleep, it's surprising how well you have coped.
    Don't be hard on yourself, let the tears flow and then pick yourself up and keep on going. Take each day as a new start, do lots of little walks, it's amazing how little by little you will begin to feel better.
    I'm happy to try to answer any questions. By the way, try using pillows to get a good position to sleep. If you're on your side, place one between your knees and one behind your back.. I hope you find tricks that will work for you. Don't forget to look at how far you've come and all that you've managed to achieve in the past 2 weeks!
    DDD. Married,Mum of 2, Age 45: 2007 & 2008 L5/S1 Discectomy
    April 2013 L5/S1 Anterior Fusion
    & L4/L5 Artificial Disc Replacement
  • Remember it's very, very common & perfectly normal to suffer mood swings & even depression after surgery. Please don't be too hard on yourself. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • It will add up like a limb gone to sleep and you'll never be able to move..so coming to terms with the fact its ok to be not so understanding every now and then, and helping the others in your circle be able to understand this will let them understand the why and when of the issue. good luck and be gentle with yourself
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Thank you all for the kind words :) I am actually doing alot better and im sleeping better. It still hurts to completely sleep on my side but I've found a happy medium.
  • When I was first injured and in PT they suggested I get a body pillow. I went and got one and it sure helps. It helps align the spine and keep your back the way it needs to be is what she said. I usually flip one leg over it and hug it towards the top.