Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The Road we have to travel

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
So many of us have been down different roads in our quest to live as comfortable of a life that we can. No, we are not pain free, but at the same time, we
are not strapped down by our pain or disability. I think a lot of that comes with time.

But there are so many new young members joining here and honestly they are frightened. The started with some back or neck pain and after seeing a couple of doctors and having
some diagnostic tests done they are told that they have ABC The doctor then gives them all sort of variables, options, whys, etc associated with that But its overwhelming!
You walk away knowing one thing, You are in pain and what the doctor just told you doesnt sound too good.

My life is shattered, is one thought that goes through so many minds at this point. I am young, I have so many things I want to do. I am active, I play sports, I want to hike, I want
to ski, I want to ride horses, I want to do anything! BUT NOW I CANT!!!!!

Thats always the initial reaction. Some of the spinal conditions make it sound much worse. The dreaded words Degenerative Disc Disease. I dont think there is a harsher word,
My gosh, degenerative - its going to get worse[/u] , [u]disease - how can it be cured?

You start to search the internet for more information. Many of you are lucky and find Spine-Health. You register, you try to figure out how to do or where to go, but you plunge ahead
and make your first thread, hoping for answers, hoping for some reassurance. Maybe at first nothing, you feel more lonely, then a few posts come in. Some from the old timers, like
myself. I know I am guilty many times and trying to down play the new members fear, but I hope I do more in trying to help them understand their condition.

We are here to help everyone, Pain never discriminates, doesn't matter what age you are, what religion you follow, what race you come from. But here you will find a Spiney-world
thats people who have already traveled the road you are about thread down and those that are just starting like you.

We are here to help!
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    For me the scariest words were not "Degenerative Disk Disease" but were instead "congestive heart failure" I heard in 2010.... and then a cardiologist who dropped me. I found a new cardiologist a year later who told me he saw no evidence of CHF but, in the meantime I had been diagnosed with Celiac Sprue Disease. Changing everything about my diet and my health returned my heart to almost perfect condition!

Having lived in chronic pain since I was 8 years old I was encouraged by my heart success to find someone who could help with my back pain. I had been hearing about degenerative disk disease, hernitated disks, bulging disks, laminectomies, discectomies but I found a Pain Clinic who said they would try. First part of the plan was a history, imaging, and pain relief. I was taught why physical therapy really helps and why surgery is never an early option.

I now have support in the medical field telling me "why" but the initial injury happened in 1972 when I was 8 years old. Forty years later and now we have the technology but it didn't exist back then. Medicine is evolving but doctors simply cannot always put Humpty dumpty back together again. I had to have courage hearing that "surgery wasn't an option" and stop the thinking that I wasn't being taken seriously. Now I realize that medicine has its limitations.

From working in the mental health field I know we all want the "magic pill" but it may not exist yet. Tonight I called a friend and just cried. I had 2 more spinal injections today and they HURT! What hurt worse was hearing that, by way of imaging the docs don't think the injections will help and surgery, another surgery may be my only option. Surgery doesn't mean being better the next day. It can be bad and painful and unsuccessful.

Now I have found a new forum with people with similar issues. I can handle the pain and the side effects and life's frustrations but having the support from others who are going through similar situations is priceless. Tonight it's MS Contin and Oxy-codone and ice and a cuddly dog. Tomorrow may be better.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)