Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone taken from iliac crest for anterior spinal fusion

AnnoulaAAnnoula Posts: 1
edited 01/14/2015 - 3:04 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had spinal fusion in 2011 and two weeks later my metalwork had to be removed and repositioned as the surgeon had put the screws in the wrong place, causing me indescribable agony and unbearable pain in my right leg. I was still in the same pain after the 2nd op and did not get better over time, as they predicted! I moved from England to Northern Ireland and found a surgeon in,Belfast. He removed all metalwork as he thought the fusion would be strong and secure but unfortunately the section where I'd had the rods and screws literally crumbled and I thought I would lose my mind with the pain, despite still being on MST 60, Lyrica, Co-codamol etc! They found a substance in my spine which was 'grey and mushy' and could not be identified despite extensive tests, so I received IV antibiotics - the strongest available, in case it was an infection, and this continued for many months. The surgeon then decided that I required longer rrods and gave me a 4th operation to insert same. The decision was made next day that the rods would not be strong enough so additional anterior fusion was required. This was performed two weeks later when I had enough strength to hopefully tolerate this 5th surgery, all inside 13 months! The surgery went well, at the time, but when I was released from hospital after 10 weeks (mostly in isolation in case I had a rare infection) I put my weight on my left left to gently walk forward, as instructed by the physios,and the entire wing sheared off my pelvis! I was in horrendous pain and the paramedics strapped me into a spinal stretcher to take me to hospital.. They said if I even moved I could sever a major artery or be paralysed. I was released from hospital 12 days later after the doctors liaised with the pelvic consultant and the conclusion was arrived at that nothing could be done. I have had several appointments with the consultant and discussed ideas for repairing my pelvis but apparently it cannot be done. I have been left with a permanently broken pelvis, the wing of which has moved downwards and as the tummy muscles are attached to this, I now have a huge one-sided bulge at the break site, non-attached muscles thereby causing a large floppy tummy and my hips are mis-aligned causing a severe limp/lurching movement when I try to take a few steps. I cannot walk except for a few steps on crutches and am still on these heavy medications after four years. I have always been very slim with good firm muscles but as my thyroid became underactive after these surgeries , combined with being unable to move very much, I have gained around 28 pounds in weight! My spinal consultant is referring me for discussion regarding a spinal cord stimulator but I do not know if it is worth having it inserted as I am in such pain with my broken pelvis. I forgot to mention that the misalignment of my pelvis is also causing my spinal curvature to worsen rapidly so I also have a new area of pain in my upper back. Please, has anyone heard of a similar case and have they heard of anyone having the iliac wing re-attached to the pelvis?

I live in hope!g

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • OMG! You poor thing. It sounds like you've been put thru the "wringer". I can't imagine going thru that many surgeries in such a short time. I was wondering if the "grey and mushy thing" you mentioned could be myelomalacia? That's a condition where the spinal cord softens from damage to it. What part of your spine was fused?