Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatic nerve pain 1 week post op after micro diskectomy

ChristinaacgirlCChristinaacgirl Posts: 4
edited 01/16/2015 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
One week and two days ago I had surgery on my lower back. I believe it was a micro discectomy. Forgive me for not knowing exactly what it is as I was very nervous and very scared. And really all I wanted was somebody to fix the pain. It started with pain that radiated down my leg I guess the sciatic nerve for my right leg I don't know how it happened I've always had some lower back pain but never anything like this. I was unable to walk and unable to sit I could only lay on my stomach. I went into the ER on a Saturday had surgery on Wednesday and went home the next day. The reason they gave me surgery was because they did an MRI in the hospital and saw that my disk had ruptured. For the last eight days I have been doing great I felt like this is a wonderful thing all of my problems have been fixed. I did have some mild back pain and some incision pain but the pain in my leg was gone completely. Now starting last night I got up from a sitting position and felt a muscle spasm in my thigh of the same leg. It is the next day now and the pain is getting worse the burning is coming back the pain behind my kneecap is coming back I don't know if I injured it again or maybe the doctor didn't completely fix it I'm feeling very scared. I called the doctor and he suggested that I go back to the ER to get another MRI but I could try waiting it out. So this is where I'm at I am waiting it out laying in bed doing nothing only getting up to use the bathroom and it's worse each time I get up. I don't know what to do! Does anyone have any similar stories!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • When I had my microdiscectomy, I had immediate relief from the pain when i woke up from surgery. Then, about 3 or 4 days later, the pain down my right leg began to return. So disappointed. But....then I did some research and also asked my surgeon and found that the nerve takes a long time to heal and it is not uncommon to have the pain and/or numbness return for a short while. Mine improved slowly over the weeks and eventually went away.
    CA Wife and Mom, 55, L5-S1 Microdiscectomy on 7/12/13
  • ChristinaacgirlCChristinaacgirl Posts: 4
    edited 02/22/2015 - 12:36 PM
    I joined this site and wrote that post and actually couldn't figure out how to find the post again. So thank you for your comment and I am sorry for my slow response. It's been a rough road! I literally take one step forward and a leap backwards. At least that's what it feels like! I had a slow pace of improvement after the original post... 2 weeks ago I started PT that was a huge mistake I feel it absolutely messed me up! The therapist had me work through sharp pains in my leg as I did the bike and other things. I would say "is this ok it is really painful, not just sore but sharp breathtaking pains" they just had me continue. I figured they knew what they were doing. I will be 7 weeks post op in 3 more days. I have recently been having terrible pains in my leg and have found myself laid up all day for 3 Days! Something isn't right!! Of course I don't know what but this can't be right!
    I stopped PT myself and made some Phone calls to my new surgeon. I will be seen tomm thank goodness!
    I know when I say I am only 7 weeks post op that people think.... That's still early it takes time. But why do I have days that land me on my couch and other days that I seem to be able to walk around with only minimal cramping? I feel very discouraged!
  • Let us know what the doctor says about your pain that far out from surgery.
  • Just got back from my first neuro appt. They recommended surgery. It is frightening. I read good and bad things about it. Since my pain has been around awhile. I am really hoping it works. Good luck with your new doc!