Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Unusual amount of people with surgeries so close together

Seems that I am reading so many threads where members have lumbar surgery and then less than a month away they have another one.
This all sounds so strange to me.

Is it failed surgery?
Do something else come up?
Did the doctor not do the job?

I would really like to better understand why this seems to be happening so much recently. A year ago, I think I only heard of 1 person that had surgery,3 months apart.

Something has changed!
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I am one of those unlucky people.

Is this failed surgery? After my first discectomy I felt great for 3 1/2 weeks. Pain completely gone, then crept back up over 3-4 days. I followed restrictions to the letter.

Did something else come up? An MRI showed a further herniation & under the knife I went at 8 weeks to the day from first surgery.

Did the dr not do the job? I do believe second surgery wasn't as successful, I believe while the herniation was removed a small sequested fragment was left behind, thus going in for a fusion.

It is what it is & all I can do is move forward. 2015 is going to be my year of strengthening (both mind & body) & catching up on quality time with my loved ones.

Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • Yep, I'm another multiple surgery person. I had 4 within a 6 month period.

#1 was a microdisc which was much needed and lasted about 6 weeks before a reherniation
    #2 was the same thing, same disc, hoping this would hold
    #3 was a fusion of the same area, where arthritis was noted in the facet joint that was removed (so likely part of the reason for the reherniation). I had screws and rods and a spacer placed.
    #4 was a minimally invasive surgery in the same area to remove the screws and rod on the left side and remove a bone fragment that had been noted on a CT scan following the fusion surgery. Since I have had a fairly severe loss of function of the toes on my left foot and weakness in my left ankle and leg, the surgeon theorized that it might be the screws or bone fragment continuing to irritate the nerve. So far though, it hasn't improved my situation.

It might be noted that I also seem to have a decent degree of scoliosis (probably adult onset) which might be causing some of my issues. I don't think that my surgeon has done anything wrong, but at 4 surgeries so close together, it does start to make one wonder. I think the fact that I'm 36 with two young children has sort of made the surgeon a bit more aggressive because he's trying to give me as much relief from pain and enhanced mobility and function as he can, but I also think I'm just one of those people who fall into that small percentage of failure rates. The fact that all of the surgeries were minimally invasive has helped though.

I do know that the first three surgeries were really not optional. I couldn't continue on the way that I was. The fourth surgery was completely optional, but it gave me a chance, so I took it as the risks seemed minimal and the benefits could have far outweighed the risks. I don't really regret any choices I've made so far, but it's still early...
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014
  • WIth all of those surgeries it almost seems like the doctors rush through or don't do a thorough job on the surgery so that you end up coming back for more issues to make a few more dollars. Maybe its not that way but I would rather have more done at one surgery and have it done right the first time instead of doing it little by little. My surgery was a one level surgery, didn't even stay overnight in the hospital and I rang up a bill of $35000. I cant imagine doing it over and over.
    Tracie C