Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cause of hip/knee pain

SineadAFCSSineadAFC Posts: 6
edited 01/18/2015 - 11:20 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
Over the past few weeks I've been getting hip and knee pain which is getting progressively worse. To summarise, I have foraminal stenosis which causes severe nerve pain in my legs, particularly in my left one. However, I also have moderate osteoarthritis of the facet joints at L4/L5 and L5/S1, and usually the nerve pain you can recognise as it 'runs' down your leg and you can feel that the source is from your back, so I was wondering if anyone has been diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the spine initially and gone on later to find out that it was in other joints too? Because the pain feels like it's originating from my hips/knees and is a lot sharper than the burning sensation you typically get with nerve pain, and I know in some people osteoarthritis can be widespread. Also, I thought it might be osteoarthritis because although I get it most days, it's aggravated by movement and they feel stiff, and the pain eases with rest whereas my nerve pain doesn't. Any advice appreciated, thank you x

• I have been diagnosed with various lumbar issues as well. Part of my symptoms are severe hip, groin pain radiating down my leg. The MD kept saying it was from my back. I got a second opinion and found I have SEVERE osteoarthritis of my hip. Bone-on-bone. Need a hip replacement soon. Do not let the MDs index of suspicion be too narrow. Get a second opinion or at least have a hip xray. You don't need an MRI to diagnose hip arthritis. Good luck
  • I have the same problem as u in my lumbar. I have had three surgeries to fuse those areas. I have pain mainly on my left side. However, both hips and both knees hurt, with the left side being worse! I've done a lot of research about this and it is sometimes diagnosed in place of rheumatoid arthritis or fibromyalgia. From what I understand, it is just a blood test that can tell you for sure. For me, the fusions in my lumbar/sciatica area really helped with my hip and knee pain. I had my sixth fusion surgery five weeks ago and I fell really bad yesterday, 3/9/15. My Knee is crazy bad now bc I landed on it. I think I just messed my recovery up really bad! Pray no more surgery will be required for repairs from this fall! Thanks and good luck to you!
    Wendy Rinck