Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

"stickiness" of trans-dermal patches while sweating or swimming

DURDDUR Posts: 3
edited 01/20/2015 - 1:33 AM in Pain Medications
Hey Fellow Sufferers,

I use Fentayl and Butrans patches while daily intensive training to loose weight and physio-therapy.

I try all tricks but the patches come off or loose contact nearly every-time I swim or sweat.

So, I am using 3 times more patches than prescribed and my insurance makes trouble.

Does anybody have a good trick how to keep them dry and use them 3 days?

• Yes, you can buy a product called Nexcare Tegaderm dressing to keep them on. I use to buy them at Wal-Mart & CVS. They are in the pharmacy section where the band-aids r displayed. Have you tried putting them on your shoulder?? Mine stayed on better there but were visible depending on what I was wearing, so most of the time I would opt for my stomach. Do you clean and dry the area before you put them on? Also you have to wear them in an area that is hair free, (shoulder, tummy, hip or upper arm) .

Most importantly, though is sweating with the patch on-this can cause all the medicine in patch to release at once, causing you to overdose. Have you read the insert that comes with the patches, it tells you that heat can release all the medicine, even running a fever can cause this. You can not use a heating pad, directly over the patch or sit in a hot bath too long. Please be careful getting too hot in any way while using fentanyl patches. Also, getting them wet will cause them to fall off, like when you swim. Read the insert.

Last but not least, using more patches than you are prescribed will get you in trouble with your dr. You can be let go from pain management for this. What is the reason you use them?? Is it spine related?
  • Taren,
    Thanks. Yes, I nearly killed myself once with hot Fentanyl patches. Terrible.
    Lower back, yes, complicated and severe pain from multiple sources.
    Thanks, I have just ordered the Nexcare from the USA (me in EU).
    I must sweat to loose weight (part of the problem) and stretch my extremely shortened back tensions.
    That I can only do that with medication (without I can't do s...) so I have to try somehow.
    Mostly I swim in a warm counter stream pool. While it does not release the fentanyl it does soak and loosen the patch.

• You are most welcome, DUR, glad I could help u. ;-) Hope the Nexcare bandages arrive soon. What lumbar issues do you have going on? Congratulations on making the decision to loose weight, it will help with back pain. Hang in there, you can do it!! ;-)
  • I'm new, but I read your post and had the same problem, I tried everything to get the patch to stay on for the 48 hours, the only thing that worked for me was duct tape...yes I know sounds crazy, but it worked wonders.
    Just a thought for people in case they don't have tegaderm. Good luck! :)