Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to the forums - sciatica advice?

TK13047TTK13047 Posts: 3
Hello everyone,

I've just discovered these forums and finding a lot of people who are suffering, as I am. While I am enjoying and learning by reading through the threads, I thought it may also benefit me to ask for advice for my own situation as it's becoming increasingly bad.

A few years back I had back trouble with associated (mild) sciatica symptoms that I basically got through with exercise and help from a physio. Then, last year I had heart problems which gave me a rather stressful year resulting in last December with the sciatica symptoms returning.

I have constant throbbing pain in my left calf and ankle and lower back. Exercise, stretching and walking relieves it to some extent. Painkillers (inc. co-codemol from the pharmacist) really have zero effect). But it's sitting that is the real major problem , even with me being posture aware, a minute after sitting I get extreme pain in my rear left thigh and my calf / ankle and foot feel like they are going to explode, thats the only way I can describe it, like they are expanding and going rock solid. Standing up and walking reduces it quite quickly.

But it's also having knock on effects, so the situation is generally getting worse. I'm finding it harder and harder to sleep do to the leg pain and occasional cramps, this post which should have taken 5 mins to write has taken 20 as I keep getting up to walk around. I can't sit on a bus or in a car for long at all. I'm walking "funny" which causes pain elsewhere (if it's not one thing... it's another eh?!) and as I'm sure you can imagine, I am not a pleasure to be around. Luckily I am self employed but I do feel for my poor partner. It's been a crap year and this is just the latest straw :)

I haven't yet been to my GP, even though this has been progressing for 3 months now. Should I go? I've always found - and been told - they can't really do that much to help. Should I be looking into other painkillers and if so, what? Is this likely to just go away (last time it did, eventually but it was literally a tenth of what I am suffering now)?

Anyway, hello to you all. I realise I'm probably at the lucky end of the pain metre, compared to many of you, but any advice you can give is more that welcome as, quite honestly, life sucks right now :)

Thank you,