Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Almost 6 months post fusion update

The user and all related content has been deleted.

• After my fusion I can relate to everything you said. The 1st year is rough, if your mri' after surgery is normal then you may take a full year to recover, it did for me too. A desk job is hard on your neck. I wear a soft cervical collar and it reduces my pain and my fatigue. Each level heals slower from the outside inward. I still take my lyrica for inflammation that surrounds your nerves by the incision. Scar tissue formation could be touching your nerves. I had deep tissue massages to help me, the therapist can feel it if it's there.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • John ZimmermanJJohn Zimmerman Posts: 4
    edited 01/28/2015 - 12:51 AM
    1991 - Anterior Fusion C5, 6 and 7 in an attempt to relieve pain and burning sensations in left arm and hand. It was determined through nerve conduction tests and MRI there was nerve damage due to my chosen field in the construction industry - concrete finisher. Was advised 75% chance the surgery would alleviate the condition. The surgery was unsuccessful however there was virtually no pain following surgery and following a 3 month recovery returned to full time work in my chosen vocation to my retirement 2013. Tramadol 3 times daily have helped tolerate the burning sensations however they're still there. Post surgery PT was not required. 1992 my surgeon recommended surgery to my elbow and wrist xxxx , these procedures were unsuccessful as well and I continue taking the Tramadol 3 times daily, continued living, working, dealing with the burning sensations and for the most part trying to ignore the issue and live my life - which I have quite successfully. I think when it's all said and done, this is what we must do when our medical professionals have done their best and we're left with decisions to make - move on or let it destroy our lives. I chose - MOVE ON.
    Fast forward to 2014. I am enjoying retirement but last April had a medical issue that required another MRI. Found in this exam there was extensive compression of inter vertebral disk C2 through C7. Was advised I needed another fusion. I feel I found an outstanding neurosurgeon and after she thoroughly explained to me the procedure, the risks (both post surgery and expected chance of success) and the chance I could be paralyzed if I were to ignore this and have a fall or something else cause further damage to my lower neck we went ahead with the surgery. As you I now have screws, rods and bone matter fusing C2 thru C7. Immediately following and for approximately 2 months had quite a bit of pain (2 to 7 on a scale of 1 - 10) , wore the collar, slept fairly upright in my recliner, did my best to move about living as normally as possible but was mindful and very careful. Went through 3 months of PT, the pain had diminished to sort of a dull ever present but tolerable pain. If I were to try and describe the pain it's sort of like a dull toothache. It is now late January 2015 - 10 months later, I have perhaps 90% motion, do almost all the living I did before and can sleep 3 to 4 hours in bed. Occasionally take a couple aspirin for pain. Yes, still take the Tramadol for the nerve issue. Anyway, if anyone is experiencing this type injury and looking to having this procedure done I would advise - consider the options, consider what could happen to your life if you chose to not have the procedure done. In my case, because I did not savor the chance of complete paralysis there was no option but proceed. I hope my sharing this hasn't been too boring and that some or all may offer you some sort of help as you either consider the surgery or are wondering just how long you'll need deal with post surgery discomfort.

Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I'm not sure why everyone seems to think they should have surgery to reduce their pain? Less pain is never a guarantee. It is the biggest misconception in the world of spine surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your surgery should be based on correcting a problem in my opinion. Nothing more; nothing less.

When I first came out of surgery, I was 1000 times more in pain thinking the same thing as David G. My nerve pain was electrocuting me 24/7. I too have a weaker left arm and hand based on nerve damage. You are less than 6 months in.... I think you need to focus on PT, other forms of pain management, etc... and re-evaluate at the 1 year mark. If you think there could be an underlying problem, you need to investigate with your Doctor ASAP. I'm 12 months in and have been gradually getting better, but there have been so many ups and downs throughout this ordeal.... I have been dealing with serious increased back pain and less mobility just these past 2 months alone. It is what it is and it is indeed a long road to recovery.

There are pain management options available. I feel that you should sit down with your Doctor, N.S, O.S, P.T, or who ever you primarily deal with and come up with a game plan to tackle things as they come because this isn't done with you yet. Unfortunately, it gets worse before it gets better....

Wishing you a full recovery. Be strong and keep the faith.

Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • David G , i so am sorry. This is what concerns me. I have had neck problems for the past year....6 months ago i found out it is DDD, c5, c6, c7...pinched nerves, bulging discs, herniated discs, etc...The doctor immediately wanted to fuse 3 discs in my neck in that area!...I have lost most of my right dominant arm strength, my shoulder is an inch lower than the other...headaches, ear buzzing, pain, numbness, everything that goes along with it all....pain, spasms, tremors.....anyways

I am so scared to begin this process...he told me the rest of my discs are really worn also, so when i start this i feel it will never end. To me this is such a serious thing. I am 57 , male and have worked hard my whole life , coming from a farm and ranch and then a contractor doing sheetrock and taping for 20 years. I love working, but havent for a year now. I am trying to find other methods other than start cutting on me with tons of examples out there of that method not only not working , but making it worse...there is no turning around once a person does this, no undoing!!.....does anyone have any suggestions or had these other methods done that helped them such as spinal decompression, acupunture, laser surgery, or chiropractor work done?....i am getting worse and they already told me that i have permanet nerve damage from waiting so long...thanks everyone for all your input, you have no idea how much i value each one!!
  • Hi Kendall

When surgery is required, it is required. I am a firm believer that it should always be the last option, but putting it off can create all kinds of other issues as in your case...... We have one life to live; don't be a statistic. Fix your issues and carry on forward with your life. Worrying about it wont solve anything. Your quality of life hangs in the balance. My neck isn't done with me either, but I'm certainly not going to sit around and wait for it to get me. I could walk down the street tomorrow and get hit by a car ending it all. What matters is now. Don't be filled with self hate and/or loathing. Be easy on yourself. Time is the answer for most of us here.....

The reason to consider life and what's of value is to make sure you're not missing out. Seize EACH day. What is important to you? What do you care about? What matters? Pursue that; forget the rest....

Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore