Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe back and hip pain

Hello all. I've been dealing with severe back and hip pain for three years. When I first hurt my back I was doing my hair when my back seized up. I was unable to move, and when I saw a doctor they gave me pain meds and muscle relaxers. After the first time I continued to have back spasms for months. I saw doctor after doctor who just continued to send me away. I was in the military at the time. When I got out my back pain grew worse and worse. Doctors all gave up on helping me and I accepted the fact that maybe it was all in my head. But soon my back pain became worse, I would have muscle spams that literally put me on the floor. Soon I was having stabbing pain in my hips, was preventing me from walking longer than 10 minutes. This year alone I have gone through 4 bottles of pain killers, I have stopped with pain killers and have been treated at a really great rehab facility. But my pain continues the same as before and they still don't know what is going on with my back. Now they are thinking I have a muscle tear and a hip slip. I feel as if no one understands the pain I'am in.....there's nothing doctors can do to relieve my pain. The constant pain, the no sleeping....I feel like I will never get better. I'am 22 and yet I feel as if I'am 100. I try to remain positive but the persistent pain reminds me other wise. I came on a forum to see if there's any support out there, I'm desperate and I could really use some positive input and ideas.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I guess I needed help and advice. I'm really struggling. And I'am registered with spine health
  • I'm only a little bit older than you, it's tough and I'm sure you feel cheated for being in so much pain... have you had an MRI or any other tests? Bouncing between doctors is extremely frustrating but it's hard to give someone specific advice. Is there something that helps releive your pain, hot baths or stretching or anything like that? I hope you find some answers soon.
    Grade I Spondylolisthesis L5-S1, bilateral pars issues
    Mild Scoliois double curve
    Arthritic activity in SI area and L5 through L3
    Chronic headache
    Nerve pain
  • Yes I have had both MRI and a CT. MRI showed a lesion but they aren't sure what it was. When I went in for a ct scan they went too far up my back so I'm just waiting to get another one. It's hard because nothing is comfortable for me. Sometimes icing on a hard floor helps. Sometimes I feel like giving up....three years is along time to be in this much pain.
  • Let us know when you get the new CT result :)
    Grade I Spondylolisthesis L5-S1, bilateral pars issues
    Mild Scoliois double curve
    Arthritic activity in SI area and L5 through L3
    Chronic headache
    Nerve pain
  • I could feel the same for you. I came across a muscular skeletal dr who is able to check my SI joint ligament. The laxity causes sacral torsion. I am trying to tighten up my ligaments thru prolotherapy. Keep you posted when I can healed
  • i have had back pain for 10 plus years from disc compression for L4 5 and L5 S1 . Only in the last 2 years i am experiencing quite intense pain in the hips when i get op from sitting , stiff and painfull and have to walk it off for a few minutes. This happens every time i sit for a period not longer than 20 min or so... I am hoping it is connected to my back and not a new problem. The pain is a severe ache and sharp but does dont have nerve sharp shooting pain down my leg or anything.
  • In my case, yes, my hip pain was radiating from my L4-5 and L5-S1 disc problems, so it's possible.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • farrarhipandback
    You will be surprised how many will help you here and support you,
    there are a lot of knowledgeable and kind people. I try to be of support
    but I am not up on too much but I have learned so much and it has
    like this subject helped me to eliminate other stuff and some ideas.
    That kind of pain is tough to deal with keep bugging the doctors and
    looking for support, you deserve some help.
    I posted and did not even see the topic for severe back and hip pain.
    Your descriptions sound exactly like the problem I developed in the
    past months and I feel so bad for all of you going through this hell.
    I had pain in the lower back, butt and some in the hip but never like
    this. It is the worst yet, does yours hurt to even have your underware
    elastic press on it. I have to sit, sleep and lay in my recliner on my right
    side, but does that bring you relief. I am so desperate like you to find some
    help and I suggested to the Doctor it was that exact area S1 and he said he
    doubted it. But I have read so much on other web-sites and here, it seems to
    fit perfect. Hell when something makes it hard to bath, bend at all, sit, stand,
    sit on toilet on and on something is up right? I don't know I feel for all of you that have
    dealt with this for longer.
    I really appreciate about people here is they give you their experiences and it helps
    others to figure it out.
    I hope you all find relief some how to deal with it or solutions cause it is
    hell to deal with.
    I wondered too have any of the others had injections in that joint S1 and how
    did you do?
    Hang in there and if you ever need to talk this is the place.