Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower back pain - Is it a Disc issue?

patwin7077ppatwin7077 Posts: 1
edited 01/26/2015 - 8:59 AM in Lower Back Pain
Trying to determine treatment plan for my lower back pain. I'm a 27 year old male, 6'6" about 240.

Brief background: Pain first began over the summer, early July. I coach baseball over the summer and do a lot of bending for field work, rotation for hitting, and throwing batting practice. I also undertook some yard projects and dug/built a firepit. at the end of that week I was raking dirt on the baseball field and felt a pulled a muscle on the left side of my lower back. I was out of commission for about a week. I couldn't stand, take a step larger than a few inches, or even put socks on. I saw my doctor and a physical therapist. took some muscle relaxers, and a pain medication that I didn't like and only took 2 of. For about two weeks after that it would take a few minutes to 'straighten up' after sitting. The mornings, and the car ride to work were the worst. Once standing and stretched, it was fine for the most part and I was able to walk, even jog. Phyiscal therapy helped, I stuck with the stretches, and it felt better, but never strong.

The doctor and physical therapist were convinced it was NOT a disc issue.

I had some tightness and soreness before Christmas and re-injured it last week. Through november and december it was feeling much better, I had started playing basketball again, and working out. I lost some of the weight I put on since summer, and have been continuing to lose 5-10 pounds a week

I re-injured it last week, and its been sort of the same story.

The pain is in my lower back, left side.

Times it hurts the most are...
- standing up in the morning (or standing up ever really)
- standing up after getting out of the car is the worst.
- any of the "straight leg tests"
- sitting down and trying to just straighten my body and legs at a 90degree angle, I cant even come close
- laying down and having someone straighten my leg up, I can barely make it past the 30degree mark
- bending to the right in anyway (sidebends, or sitting in a chair and trying to touch my right hand to the floor)
- Sitting and crossing my legs (though that has gotten better recently)
- walking and taking a big step with my left leg where my knee would have to straighten to reach.
- bending straight forward even with legs

Times its fine are...
- once standing and moving around, almost everything feels fine. I've walked my dog, even jogged on the treadmill
- crouching straight up and down. I feel like I could do squats.
- rotating upper body when standing.

I have also experienced NO numbness or pain traveling down my legs or up my spine. No soreness or discomfort in my arms are legs

Basically I am trying to figure out if this is a muscle issue, or a disc issue. It just feels like there is more to it than a pulled muscle. I was a high school athlete and currently coach, and the way that this has come back so quickly, and in the exact same spot has me concerned. I also have some hesitation towards chiropractic work and medications.

Any advice, diagnosis, or further tests I could try to figure out what is going on would be appreciated!