Trying to determine treatment plan for my lower back pain. I'm a 27 year old male, 6'6" about 240.
Brief background: Pain first began over the summer, early July. I coach baseball over the summer and do a lot of bending for field work, rotation for hitting, and throwing batting practice. I also undertook some yard projects and dug/built a firepit. at the end of that week I was raking dirt on the baseball field and felt a pulled a muscle on the left side of my lower back. I was out of commission for about a week. I couldn't stand, take a step larger than a few inches, or even put socks on. I saw my doctor and a physical therapist. took some muscle relaxers, and a pain medication that I didn't like and only took 2 of. For about two weeks after that it would take a few minutes to 'straighten up' after sitting. The mornings, and the car ride to work were the worst. Once standing and stretched, it was fine for the most part and I was able to walk, even jog. Phyiscal therapy helped, I stuck with the stretches, and it felt better, but never strong.
The doctor and physical therapist were convinced it was NOT a disc issue.
I had some tightness and soreness before Christmas and re-injured it last week. Through november and december it was feeling much better, I had started playing basketball again, and working out. I lost some of the weight I put on since summer, and have been continuing to lose 5-10 pounds a week
I re-injured it last week, and its been sort of the same story.
The pain is in my lower back, left side.
Times it hurts the most are...
- standing up in the morning (or standing up ever really)
- standing up after getting out of the car is the worst.
- any of the "straight leg tests"
- sitting down and trying to just straighten my body and legs at a 90degree angle, I cant even come close
- laying down and having someone straighten my leg up, I can barely make it past the 30degree mark
- bending to the right in anyway (sidebends, or sitting in a chair and trying to touch my right hand to the floor)
- Sitting and crossing my legs (though that has gotten better recently)
- walking and taking a big step with my left leg where my knee would have to straighten to reach.
- bending straight forward even with legs
Times its fine are...
- once standing and moving around, almost everything feels fine. I've walked my dog, even jogged on the treadmill
- crouching straight up and down. I feel like I could do squats.
- rotating upper body when standing.
I have also experienced NO numbness or pain traveling down my legs or up my spine. No soreness or discomfort in my arms are legs
Basically I am trying to figure out if this is a muscle issue, or a disc issue. It just feels like there is more to it than a pulled muscle. I was a high school athlete and currently coach, and the way that this has come back so quickly, and in the exact same spot has me concerned. I also have some hesitation towards chiropractic work and medications.
Any advice, diagnosis, or further tests I could try to figure out what is going on would be appreciated!