Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Large L4/5 central disc herniation & significant spinal stenosis

MegvondMMegvond Posts: 1
edited 01/26/2015 - 8:51 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello everyone!

I've read around this forum for quite a while, so i hope you don't mind me starting this thread!
21 year old female who has had a nightmare of a back since March last year. I'm just after anyone with similar experiences and if anyone could shed some light really.

I've tried a endless amount of medication that hasn't even touched the pain, physio, chiorpractor, heat/ice, rest, movement and i asked for injections but the consultant that finally refered me for an MRI said it wouldn't benefit me or fix the problem and the dr said it would take months to have a appointment at a pain clinic :(

I can't walk and i end up having to hobble or really brace myself to lift or drag my leg to perform the walking motion. I can't stand for very long, turn over in bed, get up off furniture, i can't sit without slanting (near enough laying down lol) as the pain is absolutely fierce and causes me to cry out a lot, my body has also started to slant causing my posture to be crooked and distorted which is visible in my shoulders. If i do brace myself and go out for a few hours i really really REALLY suffer for it. All i can basically do is lay in bed :( the pain is both in my back and left leg and sometimes right leg, and even both! As well as my hips and bum. And for those in a similar position, its safe to say the pain is a constsnt consuming inconvenience that could bring one to tears given half the chance. Oh and not to mention embarassing to walk awfully, cry out in pain, and become a anti social recluse!

Anyway, i had my MRI so I'll relay my results :) ;

"L4/5 shows isc height reduction with a very large central disc prolapse. Both the right and left l5 root are severely compromised. There is significant central stenosis. The l4 roots are clear. The facet joints show early degenerative change at this level. The l5/S1 disc has an annular tear with a small posterior central disc prominence but no compromise of the nerve roots or central canal. The upper lumbar discs all show normal appearances. Several end plate schmorl's nodes are noted at the thoraco-lumbar junction."

My mind is pretty blown by this, as there seems to be a lot going on! But i'm thankful i have a diagnosis that took 10 months to recieve! I have an appointment to see the neurosurgeon on feb 3rd, so it's not long til light is shed! But i'm just becoming impatient, stressed and totally clueless as to what i should prepare for!
I think i'm just wondering if anyone has had this experience or can tell me what surgery i'm gunna be looking at recieving as i need to start preparing as i live alone 4hrs away from family and have been referred as "urgent". And after living in constant pain that has deteriorated my life and university position i am just, a little fragile haha.
For example, will they fix the small disc issue i have at l5/S1 or just leave it? Will they a fusion be more of a prospect? Open or micro surgery? Will they help my spinal stenosis? Or just focus solemly on the large disc prolapse? I'm really panicking that my problems won't be helped to improve and i'll still be struggling. I think after this intense pain and endless appointments with people that wont help, i'm very aprehensive!

So i do apologise if this thread is unnecessary or a waste of time, but just looking for a little reassurance really that everything is gunna be okay and sorted to the best one can do and not "half a job done" so to speak :) and hopefully i can update everyone through my appointments in case this informarion will be beneficial for others ☺️

Anyway, thank you all for spending the time reading!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    There is nobody on the forum medically qualified or permitted to advise on what surgery, but based on what you have told us this link may help.

Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery