Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Questions about symptoms after fall with Cervical Herniated Discs C6-C7

Sinned21SSinned21 Posts: 1
edited 01/26/2015 - 11:04 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

A little bit of history in regards to my topic.
About 6 years ago I have been diagnosed with a herniated disc between C6-C7
Prior to that it was believed to be RSI related and I had physical therapy for my left shoulder for
about a year before consulting a Neuro Surgeon, had an MRI and decided no to operate
due to the related risks, this resulted in numbness in the index finger on the right hand.

About 2 and a half weeks ago I slipped and fell down about on meter from a horizontal
position onto a concrete floor, I couldn't move my body from the neck down for about
3 minutes before tingling in the hands and the fact that I could move my feet assured me
I wasn't paralyzed, Paramedics took me to the ER departement where my neck was stabilized
for about 3 hours and CT scans were taken, diagnosis no fractures, but a possible bruised
Cervical Disc.

I was experiencing a lots of pins and needles during the first week although regular painkillers
such as Nurofen and Paracetamol eased the pain, I went to see an Ortho manual therapist
who was recommended by several coworkers with similar complaints, he adjusted the whole
spine and shoulder with sort of a hammer and drill device explaining this creates more space
between the Discs allowing for less pain and the road to recovery.

The numbness I was experiencing in my Right index finger has turned into pain and my left hand
ranges from tingling to feeling somewhat sore, I'm slowly trying neck stretches in the shower and
low impact punching exercises without resistance, whenever I'm throwing a kick with the right leg
(recently returned to Martial Arts training after a 7 year hiatus) however there is a tingling radiation
through the left arm which makes it feel numb and less powerless for let's say 20 seconds or so.

Anybody have a suggestion this would be the result of the bruised and already herniated C6-C7 or
there might be back problems and/or relations with the aforementioned shoulder and word of advice
how to proceed to full recovery?

Also my reflexes where less established on the right side when tested in the ER room and I had a
different experience walking with pain in the shin and couldn't flex the foot when doing a left kick.

I hope someone on this Forum can provide some guidance on the (nerve) rootcause , no pun intended, and
the path I need to follow to work up to being fully functional again, should I see the Ortho manual or a Physical
therapist, the first one is not a really accepted phenomenon in The Netherlands and the latter didn't 'really' solve
the problem 7 years ago, however this is a more severe case in terms of pain and other symptoms.

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

A patient hailing from the Netherlands