Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Gabapentin and abnormal gait/hip/leg/muscle pain

I was on gabapentin for nearly a year----900 mg per day (not much) and after taking it a few months, my thighs began to feel extremely fatigued. I felt like I ran a marathon with weak and strained feelings. My buttock muscles also hurt and my low back. I thought it was my sacroiliac as well as piriformis syndrome. I went to physical therapy and also had an MRI. Nothing wrong. Nothing helped me, either. Then I read the side-effects of gabapentin and I saw, "abnormal gait", "myalgia" which is muscle pain, and "arthralgia" which is joint pain. Low back pain was also listed. I wondered. I tapered off gabapentin over a long period of time and was in abject misery by the time I stopped the drug. I crawled to my pain pills every morning until then. I had to lift my legs into the car because of weakness and pain in my quads. After I stopped the drug, I jumped out of bed like a gazelle and my legs felt great. The hip and low back pain stopped! It was the drug!!! If anyone out there has oddball leg fatigue and hip pain which they did not have before starting this drug, you may need to switch to Lyrica.

I got the same pain with Lyrica, but not until I got to 300 mg per day. At 250, I am fine. Most doctors do not know these oddball side effects, yet many I know have them! Just food for thought if anyone is suffering on gabapentin.

• I take 3 x 75mg a day of lyrica. The gababentin didn't work for me. Good to know if I increase any higher to beware. I'm hoping not to take anymore :)
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Gabapentin made me feel brain dead so I take 75 mg of Lyrica at night. If I take it in daytime it puts me to sleep. Lyrica has helped with shocks in legs. I still have them but not as severe. Vicki
    1977 L2-L3 Laminectomy
    Degenerative Disc Disease
    2013. Sudden Degenerative adult Scoliosis
    3/26/14 L1-S-1 Fusions and instrumentation
    4/10/14 surgery to scrub staph infection off hardware & drain tissue
  • I have lower back pain but stopped recently.
    My dose is 75mg per night.
    Really hope my pain will be lessened gradually.