Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here...trying to learn

jerrystantonjjerrystanton Posts: 1
edited 01/28/2015 - 9:06 PM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone!

I'm very glad to have found this site ... I believe everyone that is not in everyday pain that I associate with is probably getting tired of me trying to deal with this. lol
So I am really glad to be here. I will try to make my intro brief, but so much has happened in the past month or so it is hard to do that sometimes.
I am not used to ANYTHING in my life never healing itself or getting better over time, I have no health problems , never had surgery or any type of injuries whatsoever.
The past month or so my right arm has had a constant rotting bone pain - almost like a toothache, along with numbness in my index thumb and middle fingers with numbness also running up parts of my right arm...this pain is constant - no relief no matter which way I twist turn or pull - heat - ice - advil,tylenol, aspirin ... nothing would relieve this pain. The only thing that really did make the pain bearable was any painkiller - lortab, Percocet, etc.. This also let me know it was majorly nerve related.
I had to get insurance right away and find a doc - then get an mri and battle the wait times and result times because I was in so much pain --- I was nice to the docs office and had to do a lot of legwork but now I hold the record on getting an mri done with results and seeing the doctor all in the same day. The everyday agony of this not getting any better was killing me, especially with no prescription for pain meds which were the only relief I could find to sleep, take out my trash, goto the store - to at least function for a few hours instead of misery.
I had my cervical MRI done and it shows 7 discs all with trouble, I have no idea how it happened - neither does the doc - I have yet to see a Neuro - but fought all day on the phone today and finally got my first Neuro appointment Tuesday.
Does anyone here ever submit their MRI just to get other peoples opinions ??? I read the rules and saw where you shoudnt ask for diagnoses but would opinions be ok and so people could compare or help lead me in what they think it might be. Maybe someone here has the same problems I do???
I also need to know about some kind of pain management ... I have 2 discs that are CLEARLY pressing on my spinal cord and numb fingers with just constant pain. Waking up is the worst - and I would never admit this to anyone in person - but vodka with orange juice along with 2 lortabs has been my breakfast the past few weeks just to knock the pain down enough to function for the day - it is the only thing that works it is that bad. I had to ask the doc for pain meds after I got the MRI and they could see something was wrong ... they only gave me 30 lortab 10mg ... Im 200lbs and I know 2 of them will knock the pain away completely for me ... but I have had to be very scarce lately and only use 1 - which works and helps me cope with it - still feel the pain though.
I don't know what to do, I hope the Neuro will have advice and I don't want surgery, but the regular doctor said it was pretty bad .... I don't think he really knew what to say though.
I am now facing the fact the my pain meds will run out for sure and we all know the doctors could careless about that ... but I am the one who is going to be in complete constant agony, not them ...
Can anyone enlighten me on the process you think I will need to go through ??? Will the Neuro give me some type of pain management program to help --- I do not want surgery - I would like to find a way to manage this with medication because its possible for me to take a small dosage and not feel buzzed but it works on the pain very well ... only problem is some days it doesn't work as well.
Looking forward to learning and sharing ... Thanks

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 01/28/2015 - 9:05 PM
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi Jerry

I am no Doctor, but if your discs are CLEARLY pressing on your spinal cord, U need to act very quickly. I don't want to scare you, but this could cause paralysis if left untreated. It could cause an array of other conditions as well (myelomalacia, etc..). I'm sorry to say, but it looks like surgery may be your only option. That being said, you need to speak with a Board Certified Neurosurgeon or Orthopedic Surgeon sooner as opposed to later. Again, I'm not trying to scare you, but when anything is compromising your spinal cord, U need to act very quickly.... U need to get organized, line your chickens up and slap together a plan of action IMMEDIATELY.

Please, please don't sit around waiting. Do NOT delay. Be firm and act very quickly. Do NOT take NO for an answer. You need to get a couple of quick opinions (from legitimate sources) and move forward ASAP. Take control. This is your life!

Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore