Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Sholder arm chronic pain 11 years and "normal" MRIs

Sum_jazzSSum_jazz Posts: 1
edited 01/30/2015 - 8:16 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
About 11 years ago, I noticed my right shoulder ached all the time and once in a while it would shoot to my fingers. Had an MRI and was normal. I have a high pain tolerance so I just dealt with it. Over the next 4 years it became constant shooting and aching pain on both sides with moments of extreme pain when I move my arms (especially if I lower my arm from a lifted position). I have had 3 MRIs of my right shoulder, 2 of my left and 3 of my neck. They did say I have degenerative bone disease in my neck (C4-7), but that it shouldn't be causing that much pain. One Dr decided to open up my right shoulder and said the joint was destroyed and he had to "rebuilt" it, but after the surgery the pain never changed and now I only gained a huge scar (not my biggest problem). The pain quickly got to the point that I couldn't think and I became very short tempered.

Things tried:
*two 6 month round of physical therapy (that made it worse each time)
*Pain meds Tramadol, Hydrocodone, Morphine pills (these gave some to a lot of relief but resulted in becoming dependent on them and horrible withdrawals when Doctors decided to take me off them)
*Trigger point injections (At first they helped, but after 1-2 years of getting them every 60 days they had no effect)
*Cortisone/Lidocaine injections in neck and shoulders (the Lidocaine was great for about 12 hours then pain was worse for the next 12 hours or more)
*Cyclobenzaprine (little to no help)
*Trazodone (Allows me to sleep more than 45 minutes at a time otherwise the pain wakes me up and I have to wait an hour before I can fall back asleep. The problem is by the time I do wake from the pain it is far worse)
*Cymbalta and Lyrica (No real change in pain, but went from someone who never drinks to a raging alcoholic and few suicide attempts Luckily I was too drunk to pull it off. Just got scars and upset family)
*Radiofrequency ablation (I did have a reduction in pain but on the 1-10 scale it was from an 8 to a 6 and lasted only 30-45 days)

The only thing that helped was the meds, but with the crackdown in todays world my docs say they are not an option. My last Instead I continue to get poked and prodded and each time I get home to the same results.

I have been so worn out by pain. I really want to find out why I am in pain and maybe I can figure out how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.