Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tips for pain reducing activities?

JojomojoJJojomojo Posts: 11
edited 01/30/2015 - 12:57 PM in Chronic Pain
I really bit the dust after fracturing my l5 and the surgery to fix it, didnt help getting pregnant 6 month later and having a baby. I put on about 50 lbs which has in turn caused me more back pain (upper and lower) and other joint pain and have had recent shoulder surgery. I occasionally ask for a rx for pain meds (when it's really bad) cause I can't take much else but don't want back in that cycle.

I know this is a chronic pain forum, so I figured I may get some good answers.

What do you do for activities that don't increase your pain or that help with the pain?

Swimming is a God send but we live in a rural area and only have a membership for an outdoor pool, open in the summer.

I need to decrease my pain and maybe as a bonus take some of this weight off. Any help is much appreciated.

• PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    This may be just me- I'm unique in some ways and pretty typical in others! My back pain started 40 years ago when I was 8 years old and by now, the pain starts in my lower back but I've have 3 knee surgeries, 2 back surgeries, neck issues, arm breaks.... all kinds of stuff.
    Anyway, when pain is intense I tend to find respite in doing very repetitive actions. In the past you'd see people in rocking chairs. I had to leave my favorite behind in an apartment. The simple act of rocking forward and back, it's sort of hypnotizing. I draw so I can just make small marks, over and over, and over- mind come out as pet portraits but there have been times when I just filled an entire page with lines. Again, a repetitive action requiring less motion. Today is a lower pain day so my dog and I just went walking for miles putting one foot in front of the other.

I realize this sounds ridiculous but these simply movements have gotten me through most of my life! If it doesn't help, nothing lost but try it, your brain just gets into a "zone" and pain lessens.
    Good Luck!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    edited 01/31/2015 - 1:20 PM
    Sheila said exactly what I will say, walking is the best place to start. It's low impact on your joints. After any spine surgery most medical professionals recommend walking as the best activity to start the recovery process. After you feel better and stronger, set goals that are attainable to take your physical activity to the next level. You may want to discuss any physical fitness plan with your doctor or PT before you begin.
  • Thanks for the tips! Sheila, rocking is very soothing to me too! I'm one who wiggles my legs or taps my toes when I'm anxious, to change my focus.
    I do love to walk, but during the winter I make excuses due to almost daily rain (western wa lol)
    I'm going to stop doing that and get back on the road :)
    Thanks again! Walking it is!