Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Protein deficiency/malnutrition

I cannot afford a.nutritionist. My neurosurgeon says I suffer from malnutrition, specifically protein deficiency. Do any of you have a magic bullet to make this go away?
Puppy mom

• christibencchristiben Posts: 121
    edited 02/01/2015 - 7:59 AM
    I get the lack of appetite. Blah
  • I also eat a lot of eggs right now. Sometimes that's dinner.
  • My doctor has me on Vitamin D and Calcium supplements to help with that!
  • Puppy momPPuppy mom Posts: 6
    edited 02/02/2015 - 8:01 AM
    I have lost 22 pounds. The hardware is not even closely sitting next to my spine. I cannot walk without a walker. Every joint below my waist hurts. My neuro does only that of course. My internist says well maybe the weight loss will help your back. I weigh 115. My PM says the pain is because I am too focused on taking a pill. I feel like my team has abandoned me. I have made an appt with a new internist and an ortho. I want to change the PM, but it's too much to take on
    Please note administrator. I can only use the Puppy mom once and then I have to get a new log in which in spite of resetting everything, doesn't work the next time. Thank you

I sent you a message to understand your last paragraph - Ron
    Puppy mom
  • For my recovery, especially the first couple weeks, all I ate was soup. Since I had cervical surgery, it was way easier to swallow, but in reality, I didn't have much of an appetite and it was the only thing close to appealing. A couple of friends brought over soups, my favorite is the chicken and rice (and I've made 3 batches since then). A good rich broth with the meat back in it, esp the dark meat, will have good protein. Don't forget beans are a good source as well, so either beans in a soup, or puree them to make it thicker. (and ours had onions, celery, carrot, +/- mushrooms)
    In reality, I still have a poor appetite, but I've maintained my weight loss since I have a low metabolism. I originally dropped 10 lbs after surgery. I agree eggs are an excellent protein source, but they still are very unappealing to me.
    If you make soup yourself, either make your own broth, or buy the extra rich broth (or look at label for protein content). Some are basically flavored water. The broth I made Saturday was a gel when cooled, it was so thick.

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• Cottage cheese w/fruit is a good source of protein, I prefer peaches with mine. Yogurt is another good one, I mix fresh blackberries, raspberries & granola in mine. You can also add, peaches, blueberries, I have even added kiwi. Egg whites are high in protein. I also drank a lot of Ensure, I preferred chocolate flavored. Boost is another good choice. You can also get protein bars.

This isn't a good choice, for obvious reasons, but when I was severely malnourished and was able to eat again. I gained weight by eating Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts-not much protein in these but they do have 21 carbs p/doughnut ;-)

Good luck, Puppy mom, I know it's hard to gain it back once you become malnourished. Some will disagree, but imo, it's as hard to gain weight as it is to loose it, my nutritionist agree's with this. I was lucky to gain a pound a month in the beginning. It got easier to pick some weight back up as the months went by. Focus on the spring and summer months that are coming up, visualize yourself in all those summer clothes that you wanna be able to wear again ;-)