Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need Advice on home health care by spouse

peggy54ppeggy54 Posts: 1
edited 02/01/2015 - 9:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am having fusions for L4-L5-S1 at the beginning of March. I have spoken to the surgeon and have read up on post-op do's & dont's.

Questions are more about what my spouse needs to know on how to care for me the first couple of weeks.
I will have a hard brace with rods.
1. Will I be wearing this brace all the time or when I get out of bed?
2. If laying down, what is the least painful way for her to get the brace on and off?
3. What is the best way for my helpers to get me up, down, etc
4. Did anyone find that a hospital bed was helpful for the first couple of weeks?
5. Seeing that my instructions state I shouldn't be walking around more than 2 to 3 times a day for the first 3 weeks, what did you do about using the bathroom?

As expected, I am frightened and could use any and all techniques that you found helpful.

Last, I'll be alone after the first 2 weeks. Good or bad?

Help please?
M wangler

• pigfarmerppigfarmer Posts: 32
    edited 02/01/2015 - 3:24 PM
    I had my bottom three lumbar disc fused together in a surgery that took almost eight hours. I wore my brace 24/7 except for when I took a shower or cleaned up, and then I always put it on and off while standing, but that was just easier for me, everybody's different. As far as getting up and down, there's kind of an art to that which I have pretty much got down pat. But I've had eleven lumbar surgeries so I should be good at it. A hospital bed was an absolute necessity for me and still is. I still have a hospital bed in my family room because it is the only thing I can be comfortable in to watch TV etc. Back to getting in and out of bed is why I mentioned the hospital bed, because it was the only way I could get up and down without to many problems. If I was getting out of bed to my left side I would use my right arm to reach around and grab the left railing giving me enough leverage to kind of pull and roll and swing my legs down all at the same time. The nurses were always impressed with my technique, but I was taught that during my first physical therapy session. If you can understand what I'm saying it really does work. It doesn't come with no pain, but with the least amount of pain. As far as going to the bathroom, I had a portable commode that I used right beside my bed. And I did have a raised toilet seat attachment that went on the toilet and a grab bar that I screwed into the wall that I still use to help me get up and down, it's a life saver. I would also recommend a walker, if they don't, it really helps the first month or so so you won't fall down. Also a grabber, reacher, whatever you want to call it really can come in handy also, I still use one. And lastly you're going to be alone two weeks after you get home or two weeks from your surgery? I was in the hospital for nine days, but I got pneumonia after my surgery, but I was normally in the hospital a week but my last surgery was in 2008 so maybe they've changed that. Feel free to ask anymore questions, I'll help you with what I can. I'm not going to lie and say it's a piece of cake, it's a major surgery and there is going to be pain, but you'll make it through it. I was never sorry I had it done, but of course I didn't have a choice. If I don't talk with you again, good luck and it will be over before you know it. God Bless
    11 back surgeries, fused from L3/S1. Now have four herniated disc in neck from C3/C7. And two new herniated disc in lumbar at L1-2, L2-3. Passed 73 kidney stones, five surgeries on left ankle that now has seven screws in it and is fused. Both shoulders